Caves and Nightmares

Hey so I'm like suuuuper original (note sarcasm) so here's this.

 TW: death, sadness, PTSD (angsty fluff)

POV: Lester aka Apollo (Not sure why I picked him, but hes a solangelo shipper like me so lets try it)

This takes place on a quest of some sort I guess. Im writing this the day before ToN comes out so THERE ARE NO TOWER OF NERO SPOILERS LIKE I PROMISED. IT JUST TAKES PLACE DURING TOWER OF NERO (but i hadnt read it yet if that makes any sense. It's like an AU of sorts.)

ALSO IF YOU HAVE NOT READ *clears throat* T H A T  PART OF THE BURNING MAZE, BE CAREFUL OF SPOILERS. (If you don't know what I am talking about when I say THAT scene, you will be spoiled and probably very sad. Read at your own risk.)

* * *

Apollo

"No!" I screamed, the blood soaking my jacket leaking from the wound where I had plunged the arrow into my gut. 

I knew this scene all too well. Of course I did. It haunted me every night. Alas, no matter how often I saw it, no matter how often my mind tortured me with the memory, it never ceased to horrify me. There was nothing I could do to stop the inevitable. It was fresh horror every time.

"GO!" yelled the voice of my heroic late half-brother, Jason Grace, just before the tip of the spear and its shaft pierced his flesh. 

Jason was a true hero, my little brother, yet there was nothing I could do to save him. He didn't deserve his fate. No one did but his assailant, Caligula himself with his maniacal laughter that pounded in my ears. Screaming. Blood. Death. Pain. Laughter. Agony. My recollection of this memory was often altered by my semi-conscious brain. Of course, it wasn't a pleasant alteration. Why would it be? Gods, my mortal brain was malevolent.

This time, the wicked emperor stepped on Jason's lifeless corpse, and yanked the spear out from his chest, spraying fresh crimson blood. He examined the spear tip, a mad look in his eyes, as if to say, "This spear has served me well. To reap the souls of my enemies,". He poised it over his shoulder, blood dripping from the head of the weapon, and launched it-- at me. The spear was aimed right between my eyes. The last thing I saw was the emperor launch the spear, its tip barreling toward my head. Then, everything went black.

I woke up in a cold sweat, making no sound with my heavy breathing. Looking up at the ceiling of the cave, where we had made our shelter for the night. I turned my head. 

Kayla and Austin, were peacefully sleeping to my right, curled up in the fetal position. They were so adorable in sleep. My beautiful, sweet children. 

I heard a noise from my left. It gave me a slight shock if I am being honest. 

"It's okay. Shh," I heard in a soothing whisper. I let my head flop to my left side, squinting my eyes so I would appear asleep to whoever was awake next to me. 

What I saw was the most bittersweet sight. My now eldest son, Will Solace, protectively embracing a shaking dark blob, which I then realized was my future son-in-la-- ahhum I mean Will's boyfriend, Nico Di Angelo, who was silently sobbing into Will's chest. His small frame curled up against my son's body.

 I had never seen this side of Nico before. I always thought of him as a unbreakable warrior of darkness. But I then remembered how much the kid had been through. So young, so heart-shattering. That special, the one about the most recent children of Hades/Pluto, Nico, Hazel, and Bianca, of Hephaestus TV never ceased to make me cry. Especially now when two of them had risked their lives for me on numerous accounts.