Hunger Games AU(Part 1)

WARNING: Dark subject matter

Yes I know the title sucks. I'll change it when I come up with something.

I read "The Hunger Games" trilogy five times in a row. Why? Good question. I would also like to know. It got me an idea. You already know this isn't gonna be all fluffy.

I have yet to see anyone write a Hunger Games AU so I wanna try it. For this, Nico is in District 12. This is year 68, 6 years before the events of the first book of the trilogy. (Katniss is 10)

Some quick Hunger Games info for those of you who haven't seen/read it. (Skip if you already know this stuff.)

~

Panem is a nation of twelve districts and a Capitol. The districts are mostly impoverished while the Capitol thrives, lives off the districts, and dresses like Lady Gaga.

Long before the events of the trilogy, 13 districts tried to rebel against the Capitol. The capitol won, defeating 12 districts and destroying the 13th. This is known as the Dark Days.

To teach the districts that the Dark Days must not be repeated, the Hunger Games was created as punishment.

Each of the districts each year must send two tributes, one boy and one girl age 12-18, to represent the district. Each of the 24 contestants from all districts must fight to the death. The final survivor wins, is crowned victor, and brings wealth and honor to their district.

It's basically a sporting event for the Capitol.

Terminology:

Reaping: The "ceremony" were names are drawn to decide who will become a tribute.

Tribute: A chosen or volunteered player in the games.

Capitol: The fancy state of Panem where the government is.

Panem: Post-apocalyptic North America. (Latin for bread I think. I don't know why they decided to name their country after a food but oh well.)

Mentor: Someone, usually a previous Hunger Games victor, who guides the tributes and helps them gain sponsorship and favor.

District: Kinda like states or regions in Panem.

President Snow: The dictator of Panem

Tribute Parade: A parade in the capitol where the Tributes ride in chariots to be brought into the Training Center. Each tribute has a stylist that dresses them in an outfit to match the main export of their district.

The Seam: The poorest part of District 12.

Peacekeepers: Panem army/military/law enforcers/guard

* * *

Nico

The lobby of the Training Center was overwhelming. Pure white with modern structure unlike anything I have ever seen. I tried to look up to see everything but the stupid helmet and headlamp kept falling off or getting in the way. I HATED the tribute parade. We were dressed as coal miners, just like the District 12 tributes are EVERY SINGLE YEAR, since we are supposed to dress according to our district's main export and resource, which in my case is coal, because coal miners were so original the first 35 times! I'm just glad my stylist put me in something modest, unlike what they did last year. Disgusting. Apparently, this would be my prison for the next few weeks before the games.