Sugar, Butter, Flour

My friend found this fanart on Instagram and sent it to me yesterday and I thought it was perfect. Since I don't have Instagram and it is just a screenshot, I couldn't find the artist but it doesn't belong to me or said friend.

*

So I've decided to take a little break from the angsty stuff. I just read a lot of angst I'm sorry. I know there's a lot of shit going on in this world right now and it is the holidays, of course. I want to step away from 2020 a bit in a form of fanfiction escapism, so I shall yeet a little more fluff out there for you guys. A quick note that this is a mortal AU and Lily Solace is my OC.

* * *

Will

DING!

 The timer sounded, signaling to me and Nico that our cookies were done baking. He pulled the oven door open, gray oven mitts over his hands like over-sized gloves, and stuck a toothpick in one of the cookies to check if it was baked. He slowly pulled the wood out of the treat after a moment and examined it to check for residue. Not a piece of dough was stuck to it. They were done.

Nico grabbed the tray and the sweet smell of baked goods wafted in throughout the kitchen. The scent was delicious, as I knew the cookies would be. Believe it or not, Nico was an excellent cook. 

As he set the cookies on a cooling rack, it was all I could do not to lunge for the fresh baked snickerdoodles and take a big bite of the cinnamon-y goodness and burn my tongue in the process.

"I want one!" my little sister, Lily called from the other side of the kitchen where she had just entered, holding a mini toy basketball in her hand.

"Not now, Lily," I said telling her what I had to tell myself. "You can have one later, but they have to cool first or they'll be too hot to eat."

"But Willlll!" she whined, stomping her foot."

"Will's right," Nico added. "Just wait a little longer. It'll be worth it to eat it without burning your mouth.

"Fine," relented and started dribbling her ball.

"Lily," I chided. "What did mom say about the ball in the house?" She ignored me and kept on playing with it. "Lily you ca-"

Suddenly I heard something crash and break on the floor. I looked down at my feet to see a carton holding three unused eggs, all broken. The yellow yolk oozing out onto the wood.

"Ack!" I exclaimed. "Nico, can you help me clean up these eggshells?" we grabbed a piece of paper towel and crouched down to clean up the mess.

BONK! BONK! BONK!

"Lily! No ball in the house!" I said, my attention and eyes still fixed on cleaning up the bits of eggshell littering the floor.

BONK! 

"Oops. I heard Lily say.

Just then, I felt chalky powder from the cabinet towering over me and Nico pelt down on me like an avalanche, covering me in the stuff. I stood there frozen for a second before looking over at my boyfriend to see that he was too blanketed in it, with a large brown bag over his head. The toy ball dropping off the cabinet and bouncing off my scalp. Only then did I realize what the powder was:

Flour. The entire Costco-sized bag.

I saw Lily, who hadn't moved from her spot or even tried to help us, with her hands clasped over her mouth in shock. Then she burst out laughing.

"YOU TWO LOOK LIKE THE ABOMINABLE SNOWMAN!" she pointed at us. I huffed in annoyance. Then Nico started laughing a little too, the once black clothes he wore now completely the color of the snow outside the window.

"What the actual hell?" was all he could say, cracking up as he formed the words and taking the bag off his head. Lily laughing hysterically at my annoyed expression.

"WILLIAM THE SNOWMAN!" She sang. "WAS A WHITE AND GRUMPY SOUL!" at this, Nico's eyes, the only dark feature about him scanning my appearance and then his. I realized how stupid and ridiculous we looked, and I couldn't help but giggle a little.

"Whatever," I laughed. "Let's have a cookie."

The three of us helped ourselves to Nico's delicious snickerdoodles, still warm, but not too hot. Despite the excess flour from my fingers staining the cookie, the wonderful taste of soft cooked dough burst with sweet flavor in my mouth, the cinnamon and sugar complementing it so perfectly. I wrapped my arm around Nico as we ate, making us look like one giant bleached blob. This was by far the worst yet somehow the best baking experience I have ever been a part of.

* * *

Sorry this one is a little short. I have had this idea for a few days now but I've been procrastinating on the writing part so I wrote it this morning. Anyways I just wanted to write a little something before Christmas.

Random QOTD: Are any of you doing any thing special for the holidays (Or if it was in the past what did you do?) I know it's kind of dumb to ask considering we can't really go anywhere but there are still things to do. For instance, I drove around with my family and looked at lights in nearby neighborhoods and am doing a gift exchange with my friends. The problem being is that my assigned person lives on the other side of the country so I just have to hope it delivers in time.

Thank you all for five hundred reads! I can't wrap my head around it! You are all the sweetest and deserve endless supplies of Nico's snickerdoodle cookies and Sally Jackson's blue chocolate chip ones.

See ya later demigods, mortals, and deities!