A Burden Too Heavy

Novayar

"Once we leave the Mediterranean, water might become hard to get. The land soon becomes desert," Mother said as we settled by a small fire in human form. The sun has already set, and we sit in some mountains not far from the shores of the Mediterranean Sea. "Our destination has very little water to speak of."

"And how does Talbagu manage?" Oculeera asked.

"Magic," Mother simply said.

Magic. Wars, reveals, dragon, allies and enemies. In so little time, so much has happened. Only two weeks ago, a lifetime ago, we were happily training in Oita. We were ignorant of the true nature of the shadows. We were safer than we are now.

Now I have a spell in my head that will probably kill my own father. And I must use it to at least start to fight the corrupt magic he has created. All the while dodging the fact that Talbagu has not only revealed itself but has also outright attacked anything human related in the area. We did not have to speak Turkish to understand the news during our brief time in Ankara.

"Harogbas told you this?" Oculeera asked.

"No, Hernat," she spat out. "When all is said and done, he's dead too."

By now, Mother had explained what happened to Karomba and why they would do such a thing to her in particular. It is enough to make even my blood boil, especially because they might have done a similar thing to me.

I take a twig next to me and throw it into the fire. Why does death have to be the punishment of choice? Why not just trap them as humans and lock them up? Less arrogance and better security would yield better results than what happened to us, and no one would have to die.

"Novayar, you've been quiet today," Jheecu said after a few moments.

My hand went to my pocket where I had my passport and a note Arthur left me. "I just want this to end."

"Soon, Novayar. Soon. Then I can take you two to Kucho and we can go from there."

"Not just this battle," I muttered.

She did not answer. We all know things have changed forever. It went unspoken that the news of Talbagu attacking humans would spark some sort of armed conflict. Oculeera denies it, but I think with our fight against Harogbas, we could easily be drawn into the politics of such a war. We will be seen as heroes, and people will want to either negotiate with us, or subdue us.

Hopefully that is just my imagination going wild, but I fear it might be some of the truth.

"They make the rules in such a way that younglings lack all of the freedoms and privileges of adult dragons," said Jheecu. "But yet we are free to pile our hopes onto the shoulders of those same dragons. It is wrong of fate to do this to you."

"I just want to be a normal dragon after this. I mean, if I must save the world, and have the means to do so, then I will try. But all along the way, I have heard signs that this is only the beginning, that I will be taught everything and be studied. Now humans are involved. Who's to say there won't be another prophecy highlighting me, one that says I have to clean up this mess?"

"I say there won't. And if there is, I'll take your place. I have experience," said Mother.

"Xanmet-kal will have to step in to negotiate," said Oculeera. "She is the Greatest Elder."

I reached into my pocket, grabbed the letter out of my passport, and unfolded it. It was not a long letter, but a heartfelt one. Mom and Dad were at work when Arthur wrote the letter and mailed the package, he said. He missed me; they all did. Even friends and teachers from school asked him occasionally if I would return. Even with nearly a year already past, they still remember me. If only I could write back to them.