Aftershocks

Jacob

"You started licking my claws instead of eating your shell," said Mother suddenly. For the past hour we have been watching the TV, though she has been sleeping a lot.

"What?" I asked, confused.

"When you hatched," she said, closing her eyes. "You ignored your shell, and licked my claws clean instead. I think you wanted to prove you would not be a runt."

"Dragons have runts?"

She nodded. "Sometimes more than one. Your egg was a little smaller, but you hatched too early to be a weaker hatchling. Runts hatch last."

I leaned back on the couch. "What is that supposed to mean about me?"

She sighed. "Perhaps that I have continuously underestimated you, even when I shouldn't."

I looked away. "Why would infant me want to do that?"

"All you ate was a little dirt. But instinct must have told you that some dragons have dried blood on their claws. Your instinct must have been strong. It has served you well, I suspect. No wonder you've gone through all of this without shattering."

Without shattering? Through what? The escape, training, life in general? I felt like a wreck in the prison. And I never went through the same horrors that Karomba went through. That alone made me shutter. "I'm far from the strongest dragon."

"No. You'll never surpass me. But I saw you as a human raised weakling, just as I did Karomba. A human raised weakling wouldn't know how to fly yet. A human raised weakling would have let fate condemn them in that prison. Karomba showed more strength than I thought possible. Your composure now shows you have a lot of strength."

"It feels nice... to be with you, Oculeera, and away from everyone else. We're safe here."

No training. Trustworthy companions. We still have the weight of the prophecy and the battles to come, but there is no wondering anymore. Except to wonder if we are ready, but that was always there.

"Did you see what happened to Neihai?"

There were gunshots. But I never saw if anyone got hit. "What happened?"

"She was hit. I would have too if not for my shield. She told us to leave without worrying about Karomba and the other dragon. That hurt, leaving them. I wasn't sure if you fully understood what happened."

Shaking my head, I dig my fingers into the cushion. I can hear the sorrow in Mother's voice.

"And in all that, I left Lamau there too. Within reach so that they can do unspeakable things to her too. I only have you left."

"And my other siblings, still in Florida."

She just nodded.

Mentioning that Karomba and Lamau are left in Oita made me feel kind of guilty. That I am safe while they are not. That I get to be with Mother, catching up and letting her be a parent while they are alone. They are not important for this prophecy. Otherwise Neihai could have opened Karomba's cell first, and they would be the ones here with Servina.

And if I was not a conjurer, I would still be in Florida, unaware of what I am and that my foster parents knew who my real mother was. I may have never been able to meet Jheecu. Oculeera could have already moved into a human city, learning the human way while I learned the dragon's. So much of what I have been given, including my wellbeing, is because I am some sort of chosen one.