~ 2 am ~

Its 2 am and I still haven't been able to fall asleep. I was anxious as I lay in bed wide awake staring at the ceiling. I glance over at my desk making sure the outfit I had planned for my first day at Karasuno is still there. Although Ive been dreading it for the most part, a fresh start may still be nice.

Being a second year, its suspected that everyone already has their own designated group, meaning there will definitely be a lesser chance of being accepted into one. I always tell myself that it doesn't bother me.

Back at my old school, it was the same way. Everyone around me was sorted in some sort of clique that I didn't want to be in or simply didn't belong. And so I never made the effort to find a place, any place. High school was labelled a time for experimentation and mistakes. Pretending to get by while barely scraping through. Having control over my hair had definitely been a fun pastime of mine. Its pink at the moment, if you're wondering.

I eventually found a small group of people similar to me. They were considered friends obviously, Im not an asshole. There was never much of a chance to be closer since they didn't care for school. I basically saved them from having to retake the year since I annoyed them to the point where they would complete assignments and projects prior to their actual due date. They lacked the motivation to do well now for their futures later. To each their own, am I right? Of course I am.

Lunches were spent in an empty classroom because one thing I did have in common with these friends is that I hated the commotion by the cafeteria.

I smile while briefly remembering those precious moments spent in vacant classrooms with those closest to me at the time. They had introduced me to things like how they snuck out of their houses in the middle of the night, quickly snatching the car keys off of the hook by their front doors and

"Escaping for once", as they'd say.

That was what they said when they picked me up one night, being sure to wait a few houses past mine to avoid waking up my parents, still sound asleep in their rooms.

That was what they said when they offered me a hit for the first time.

Those days were fun. And I can make decisions for myself. I attended these midnight trips in moderation, somehow managing to maintain good grades.

I deserved an escape too.

And during my self guided tour when I first moved into this house before my first year of high school two years ago, I always walked past this one convenience store that I never felt the need to go to.

And for the sake of nostalgia, I snuck out of the house for the first time on my own.

It was so peaceful, walking out of the neighbourhood, turning the corner as I watch the familiar yellow tinted street lamps, a handful of them flickering every now and then.

I know the silence has to end eventually. Goofing around with friends. They promised to hang out with me still even after my transfer, but I think its for the best to just restart everything from the beginning. My smile slowly turned into a frown as I stepped into the worn down convenience store.

I slowly pace down the aisles with the fluorescent lights shooting down at my tired eyes. Once I picked out a bag of hard candies and put them down on the counter, the cashier stared at me confused.

"What on earth are you doing out so late, isn't it a school night?"

I widened my eyes at how blunt he was.

"Just kinda nervous. Its my first day at a new school."

"Ohhh, so you're going to Karasuno right?" he says while lighting a cigarette.

"Yeah, are you a coach or a teacher or something?" I say while accepting the change in my hands, hoping he isn't just some creep who likes keeping track of how many teenage girls are in his proximity at all times.

"Yeah I coach the boys volleyball team"

I nodded my head. "Volleyballs cool." I smiled at him and put the coins into my sweater pocket.

"Go home then, you don't wanna be tired for your first day" he says with the smoke exiting through his parted lips.

I turned back around to leave the store and re-enter the silent streets. No ones around at this time except for some tall, long haired figure sitting on a bench with their ear buds in. I stayed wary of my surroundings as I pop a candy in my mouth and take in the fresh breeze and comforting silence.

Theres no reason I should be upset or feel disappointed that this is what people call your so called "prime years". Having both parents, top of my class, and a roof over my head has to mean something, right?

Its been this way for a while now. The same routine nearly every single day.

The candy dissolved in my mouth by time I got home. The soft hum of the refrigerator vibrated through the house as I padded to my bathroom, brushing my teeth and changing into pyjamas that smelt of laundry detergent instead of cigarette smoke.

- - - - - - - -

Ive decided to change the story into first person pov because it sounds better to me that way lol.

[Monday, March 29, 2021]