Chapter 35

When I woke up the next morning, the sun already shining through the thin tent fabric, Carnel was gone.

I threw the blanket off of me and swung my legs around, my feet dangling over the bed, and rotated my shoulder. It was almost healed thanks to the fae bane powder leaving my system.

New leathers were placed on the side table and I changed into them, taking advantage of the empty tent. How long would this tent stay empty for? How many Illyrian's would come in and not walk out?

Walking out I spied Carnel at the edge of one of the training rings where a group of Illyrians' were fighting, 4 v. 1, his arms crossed and dressed in new fighting leathers as well. He acted like he hadn't just gotten struck in the stomach yesterday.

My feet were silent as I made my way over, I didn't really know why when I had to meet with everyone but.... I did.

I stopped next to him and crossed my arms, making sure he knew I was mocking his posture.

He didn't turn his head, but his eyes slid to me.

"morning princess"

Still looking ahead at the fight, I leaned slightly and pretended to whisper.

"I don't know how he's standing with that atrocious foot work" I teased

His lips twitched in a small grin.

"Does anyone know what happened to you yesterday?" I said softly.

"no" he replied just as softly,

"There's no need for them to, they need to focus on last minute training, not how or why they're leader managed to get hit by an arrow."

"mmmm, so it's not because you don't want to tell them I saved you"

He snorted and I added before he could continue.

"I wasn't kidding by the way when I said you're going to rip your stitches if you're not careful"

He softly padded the side of his stomach where he got hit.

"all better"

"really?" I said sarcastically.

"really"

"so, this doesn't hurt?"

And before he could turn, I punched him in his abdomen, far enough from his wound that his stitches wouldn't rip but close enough that I knew it would hurt.

He clutched his side and held in his bark of pain, turning to me with wide eyes. You'd think I just kicked him between the legs or something.

My smile was wicked as I slowly backed away.

"You-"

"Maybe next time you'll listen to me when I say to be careful" I said laughing and turned, jogging to Cassian's tent.

I still had a large smile on my face when I opened the flaps of his tent and he assessed me.

"What happened that made you all in a good mood" he said with a snort, dropping the papers in his hand at his desk.

I shrugged and sat on one of the chair's close to his desk, propping my feet up on an adjoining chair.

"Nothing much, you know the usual; woke up, got dressed, punched Carnel"

He bursted out laughing.

"you punched the poor lad?" he asked, his eyes bright with laughter.

I grinned, letting my amusement fill my own eyes.