Chapter 8: A much needed Talk

The campsite was quite, everyone waiting for someone to break the silence. Qrow then took a drink from his flask and said, "Really? No questions?" Jaune then said, "Of course we have questions. This is just a lot to take in." Qrow then sighed, "Sure, of course." "Bendy," said Ruby, "How long have you and the others known about this?" "Just before the dance," said Bendy, "I'm sorry, I wish we told you sooner, but Ozpin asked us to keep it to ourselves. If we could tell, your team and JNPR would've been the first." "So these,...maidens...they're powerful fighters who don't need Dust to use magic. Like Alice?" "If Oz was correct," said Silhouette, "Alice it the last of the original maidens." "And there are five counting Alice?" asked Nora. "Pretty much," said Steve. "And when one of them dies," said Ren, "the power transfers to someone they care about. A female?" "Who ever was in their last thoughts," replied Qrow, "Important distinction. Best option, it's someone we can trust." "Regardless," said Kathy, "They're souls become combined, in a certain way." "And that's what you were trying to do to Pyrrha," said Jaune, "The night the tower fell. You tried to turn her into one of them." "No Jaune," said Pyrrha, "I chose to do it. It was my decision and mine alone." "The previous fall maiden, Amber, had been attacked. She was young, and inexperienced. And her assailant, who we now know as Cinder, somehow took half of her power. We were afraid that if we didn't do something, the rest would go to her as well." "So you forced her," said Bendy. "Please," said Pyrrha, "I chose myself. Bendy, you said that the choice was mine to make, that there was no shame in saying no. But I chose to try to save her." "You were there," said Qrow, "You heard her." Jaune just gave Qrow a look, and walked off. "I'll go talk to him," said Pyrrha, following Jaune. "That guy Tyrian," said Ruby, "why was he after me and Bendy?" Qrow sighed, "Well, you both definitely painted a target on your backs with what you did at Beacon. I told you having silver eyes was a rare trait. And the fact that you both were able to use them seems to have upset some very powerful people." "Not people," said Gamma, "One person: Salem." "Exactly," said Qrow, "Not many people know about the silver eyes. But those that do aren't very happy that two have surfaced. That's why I've been keeping an eye on you. In order to make sure you were safe." "But you could've just come with us," said Silhouette, "Why do you work from the shadows?" "He was using them as bait," said Jaune. "I wouldn't put it like that," said Qrow, "It's...complicated." "Ruby and Bendy are being hunted, the schools are being attacked, all for what? What is the point of this? WOULD YOU JUST TELL US WHAT IS GOING ON!?" Qrow then sighed. "I think it's time," said Bendy, "that we told you something, long before Beacon fell. Jaune, please sit." Jaune then sat back on the log with Pyrrha next to him. Qrow then started, "This world's been around for a long time, long enough that people have created dozens of gods. But if you believe Ozpin, two of them are actually real.

"They were brothers. The older sibling, the god of light, enjoyed creating forces of life. Meanwhile, the younger brother, the god of darkness, spent his time creating forces of destruction. As you can imagine, they both had pretty different ideas about how things should go. The older one would spend his time creating water, plants, wildlife. And at night, his brother would wake to see all the things his older brother had made and became disgusted. To counteract this brother's creations, the god of darkness brought drought, fire, famine, all that he could do to rid Remnant of life. But life always returned. So one night, the younger brother went and made something. Something that shared his innate desire to destroy anything, and everything." "The creatures of Grimm," said Ruby grimly. "You guested it," said Silhouette. "The older brother had finally had enough," continued Qrow, "Knowing that their feud couldn't last like this forever, he proposed that they make one final creation. Together. Something that they both could be proud of. Their masterpiece. The younger brother agreed." "This last greatest creation," continued Bendy, "would be given the power to create, and destroy. The gift of knowledge to learn about the world around it, and itself. But most importantly, it would be given the power to chose. To have free will to take everything it had learned, and decide which path to follow: the path of creation, or the path of destruction." "And that," said Qrow, "Is how humanity came to be." "But," said Ren, "what does that have to do with us?" "That's the kicker," said Silhouette, "Ozpin said that the four gifts to mankind: knowledge, creation, destruction, and choice, well...they aren't just metaphorical." "Each of them exist in a physical form," said Kathy, "left behind by the Gods before they left Remnant, and each of them were extraordinarily powerful." "If someone were to collect all four," said Steve, "It would bring Judgement Day on Remnant." "Judgement Day?" asked Ruby. "The gods would come, and judge the planet," said Gamma, "If they find it worthy, Remnant will continue to flourish as it is. If they find it unworthy, they will destroy the planet." "Exactly," said Qrow, "The Huntsman Academies were created to train generations of humanity's protectors, but they also serve another purpose: guarding the relics. When Ozpin's predecessor founded the schools, he built them around the relics to act as a fortress. Not only would they be easier to defend, but they would also be constantly surrounded by trained warriors. The hope was that hiding the relics would keep mankind from using them against itself. And of course, keeping them out of her reach. So, yeah, there's that." "Her," said Ruby, "you mean, Salem?" "Yes," said Bendy, "Not much is known about her, but that's not what matters right now. What matters right now is that she wants the relics." "And if she gets them," said Qrow, "It's not going to end well."