Eyes Closed

Chapter 3: Eyes Closed

Rey thought they would never land on the ground. After weeks on the run and flying on fumes, Leia decided that the planet Gamorr was the place to land. It was a planet located on the Triellus Trade Route in the Galov sector of the Outer Rims. The Gamorreans weren't the best race of people but they had no choice but to land. Hopefully, it was only temporary.

Other than being on Takodana and Ahch-to, she would never get used to any greenery, cold, or change of weather. It was outstanding that other planets had differed from each other. She was used to the relentless heat, sand that would always found new places to hide, and a scorching sun. She would have never thought in a 1,000 life cycles she'd be able to visit another planet, let alone a handful.

They landed the Falcon in what looked like a secluded field with an empty spaceport. As the ramp lowered, Rey's anticipation was fleeting. The land below looked wasted and barren. The ground was hard and dry. No sign of living greenery surrounding the Falcon. But she could see a bit of tall dark brown and green some distance away.

A couple of members of the Resistance walked past Rey and down the ramp. They were as curious about their surroundings as Rey. The air was thick and had an odd mildewy-odor to it. There was a mist that floated high above the canopies and laid low to the ground. It was a disgusting shade of a gangrenous-green and yellow-y pus from an infected wound.

Even with this all disgust around her, she wanted to explore. She wanted to know it's Force signature. It was something she learned to appreciate and found calming while on her time on Ahch-to.

"Rey!" a voice called from behind her. "This is kriffing disgusting."

She could feel the smirk on Finn's face. Rey couldn't help but turn and smiled at her friend.

Rey sniffed the air and crunched her face "Yea, sort of."

"This planet is something out of a nightmare though" Finn tried to cover his nose from the smell.

"Better than Jakku," said Rey

Finns gave Rey a bright smile and shrugged.

"Do you think we'll be able to get the things we need here?" Rey wondered

"Honestly, I hope so. Maybe something fresh. Heard this planet is known for its farming."

"Fresh food?" Rey had a child-like wonder in her voice "like food that's grown from the ground? And not rehydrated by water?"

"Y...yes?" Finn said slowly while giving her the squinted-side eye.

"What?" Rey with a huge smile on her face. "I'm sorry I wasn't privileged with the comforts of a constant warm meal." her voice dripped with sarcasm as she bowed to Finn.

Even though Gamorr was quite the gross looking planet, Rey was happy to finally be breathing fresh air. Well, somewhat fresh air. At this point, anything was better than the Falcon right now.

"Hey Finn"

"Yea." Finn looked up.

"Race you to those trees." Without giving Finn time to respond, Rey bolted down the ramp and towards the distant trees.

"Hey, no fair Jedi-lady" Finn dropped his bag and ran after Rey.

Rey loved every bit of the wind flowing through her hair and being able to stretch her legs. She could hear Finn calling from behind her. But her head start was no match for Finn to catch up to. Within minutes Rey reached the tree-line and passed them. She couldn't stop herself. It was exhilarating. She felt free. There was so much "moving" Rey could do around the Falcon and its current residents. She didn't have the space to practice her forms. Only read and reread the references from the old Jedi texts she stolen from the tree.