12. Nights Like This

TWELVE NIGHTS LIKE THIS

◥✥◤

Sarah Cameron's party wasn't exactly the worst social event Helena had ever attended. However, she was starting to regret attending mainly because they kept playing the same three songs over and over and they didn't even have good alcohol. They were some of the richest people on the island, but they couldn't afford anything good? Surprisingly, Helena found herself wishing she had just stayed home. Still, that wasn't going to stop her from getting as wasted as possible.

"Can you stop looking so miserable? You look like someone just died," Tanya commented, grabbing the blonde's cup from her hand as she refilled it. "Everything okay, Hels?"

Helena nodded as she took a sip from her newly-full drink. It was bitter going down her throat, the chaser mixed with it wasn't enough to completely eradicate the feeling. "Yeah, yeah, mainly just bored. You know how these parties are."

"True, true," Tanya nodded before her eyes found something above, she pointed up, "Speaking of someone dying, look who's about to."

The blonde looked up where the other teenager was pointing as some of their other friends joined them, Maude wrapping her arm around Helena's shoulders as they observed. Sarah Cameron and her infamous douchebag boyfriend, Topper, were on the roof of the mansion, gearing up to jump into the pool. Sarah looked terrified out of her mind and Helena almost felt bad for her. Then again, she'd feel bad for anyone that had to be in love with Topper. Seriously, what kind of name was Topper? Helena rolled her eyes and took another sip from her drink.

"Why did we come to this again? Is this really going to be the most entertaining thing of the night?" Hailey approached next to her sister, looking bored as she chugged the rest of her drink. The crowd around them was chanting for the couple to jump and Helena had to admit she was a little curious as to how this was going to turn out.

Topper took another step with Sarah in his arms and they leaped into the pool. A couple of moments later, they both emerged from the water perfectly fine. Of course, Helena had been stupid to think something actually interesting might happen.

"Can you believe this girl?" Topper shouted. "The coolest chick in the OBX! That's what I'm talkin' about!"

"Oh, yeah, that's Sarah, just so crazy," Evie came up behind them with her sarcastic drawl, "Just saw Rafe walk in, wanna leave before he busts out the coke?"

"Ugh, yes, so lame," Hailey scoffed as she poured a drink for the road, "Evie, you driving us home tonight?"

The girl nodded, tossing her dark hair over her shoulder as she rounded up the girls and started leading them towards the door, "Yeah, yeah, I got you. You guys hungry?"

"Yes!" Helena exclaimed as they piled into Evie's car, stumbling over each other. Truth was, Helena hadn't had as much to drink as everyone else, but she was feeling pleasantly buzzed. "Is The Wreck still open? I want some fries."