16. Stay Here

SIXTEEN STAY HERE

SIXTEEN STAY HERE

◥✥◤

One thing Helena didn't expect after the whole fiasco at the Summer Movie Series was a phone call from Kie the next day. She didn't even know Kie had her phone number, but maybe she had gotten it from Maude or something. She furrowed her brow as she pressed the phone to her ear.

"Kie, what's up?"

"Uh, hey, your dad's a lawyer still, right?" Kie asked in lieu of a hello which was far more concerning than it should be.

"Um, yes, why? What happened?" Helena briefly wondered if they had gotten busted for the stunt yesterday with the movie screen and the fact that it had gone up in flames because of them. In their defense, Topper started it. Still, that wasn't exactly a valid point in court. Her heart beat faster with each passing moment, wondering what the hell had happened in the last twenty-four hours that Kie would require a lawyer for.

Kie hesitated for a moment before she answered in a rush, "JJ's been arrested and we don't know what to do, but we know he can't afford a lawyer. I don't even know if he needs one, but in TV they always invoke their right to a lawyer and I don't know, I don't know Helena, just get here please. Preferably with your dad."

Her heart stopped. "Arrested? Like, arrested arrested?"

"Like arrested arrested," Kie repeated, "You're gonna come?"

"I'm on my way," Helena spoke before hanging up the phone, going to her sister's room first, "Is dad home?"

Hailey looked up from her phone, "Yeah. why? What do you need him for?"

"We need to get down to the station, like, now," she didn't offer an explanation because she was completely panicking. She ran downstairs, finding her dad on the couch with a newspaper in his hand. "Hey dad, you love your daughters right?"

Hailey came running down the stairs behind her, standing behind her sister in what seemed like a show of support, but in reality, she was probably just confused. Helena was insanely confused, too, but she was more freaking out than anything. There was a large chance her dad wouldn't want to help and she didn't know what would happen to JJ because she knew that boy absolutely could not afford a lawyer.

The man put down his newspaper, looking at them quizzically, "I do, are you questioning this?"

"Can you do your lawyer thing and get JJ out of jail?" Helena asked, the words slipping out of her lips before she could find a better way to phrase it so it didn't sound absolutely insane. "I don't know if he'll need one, but I think it might be nice to have."

"JJ... the Maybank kid?" her dad questioned and she nodded. The name Maybank was not a good one in this household, not ever since her dad and JJ's dad got into a fight when they moved. JJ's dad has always been a no-good jealous drunk who was a piece of shit to his kids and when Andrew Vermont had the audacity to try and give his kids a better life instead of spending their newfound fortune on drugs and booze, JJ's dad lashed out. She shivered at the memory. Still, he hoped the memory of how horrible JJ's financial situation was would cause him to be more inclined to help out.