01. In Control

ONE IN CONTROL

ONE IN CONTROL

◥✥◤

     There really wasn't much to Helena Vermont. She was a pretty face, a good bank account, but that was really it. That and her crippling addiction to her ex. JJ Maybank was human garbage according to her and any of her friends you would ask, but that didn't stop her from disappearing with him to her car at literally any party with Pogues and Kooks alike. Of course, she would never admit to it, though.

"You have to stop sleeping with him," her sister, Hailey, droned on as the two got ready for some idiotic benefit their parents were dragging them to. She was sitting at the vanity in Helena's room, trying on earrings that cost more than anything else in the room. "You got home at three! Dad would not stop asking me where you were it's ridiculous. Mom's gonna be back in town soon and she won't put up the sneaking around shit."

"Calm down, Hails, I'm perfectly in control of the situation," Helena sighed, eyeing the long dress she was wearing in the mirror. It was designer, of course, and tailored to fit her so she looked amazing as always. "Besides, what's your teen years without a little bit of excitement?"

"Take it from someone happily leaving them behind, it's better," Hailey remarked as she chose a pair and began to put them in with minor difficulties, "Ugh, can you help me? That bitch made my nails too long this morning."

Helena nodded walking over to help with the backing, "You should know by now with a stiletto you always wanna go a little bit shorter than you normally would. Besides, they're so impractical that's why I stick with a short almond, it has never let me down once."

"Good for you, you have the same nails as everyone's mother ever," the older girl teased, "I swear, you were supposed to come out first with how fucking old your tastes are."

Helena scoffed, going back to admiring her reflection, "At least I don't poke my eye out every time I rub my eyes in the morning. They make you look like a whore anyway."

"Says the one fucking her Pogue ex-boyfriend," Hailey scoffed, her eyes meeting her sister's in the reflection.

"Don't be a bitter bitch just because you're almost eighteen and still haven't gotten any, it's not a good look on you, Hails," Helena tsked with an innocent expression that was one-hundred-percent falsified.

"I'm gonna stab your eyes out with my whore nails, bitch," Hailey yelled standing up with a rush from her chair as she moved to shove her sister. Before anything could get too rough between them, there was a knock on the door.

The door opened revealing their father with his signature kind smile, "You ladies almost ready to go?"

The two girls plastered smiles onto their faces as they nodded. Hailey was the first to speak, saying, "Yeah, yeah, is mom almost back?"