Chapter 7: Just a Nightmare Away

Jack

          “Jackson!” I turn to see a small girl with long brown hair looking at me. “Are you coming?” The girl asks. “Umm yeah I’m coming.” I say and start to walk to her when I feel someone grab my arm; I turn to see an older version of the little girl. “Take care of your sister Jackson.” I nod, “I will.” I promise as I walk over to the little girl and grab her hand. “I’m so excited to skate! We haven’t gotten to do this for so long.” The little girl says with a smile on her face.

          I don’t know what is happening but deep in my heart, I know I have to protect this girl, my sister. “This is perfect!” The little girl says and stops in front of a lake. I walk over to the lake and grab a stick off the ground and hit the ice to make sure it wouldn’t break. “It’s safe Em, this will be fine.” Em? Was her name Emily? I hear her laugh, “Mom hates it when you call me that. You know she likes it when you call me Emma.” I smile, Emma, it fits her. “Sorry Em, but mom’s not here.” I say as I help her put on her skates.

          “Now take it easy, it’s been awhile since you’ve been on ice.” I say as I hold her hand and help her on the ice. We skate and have fun together till I hear a crack. Both Emma and I stop, Emma looks down to see the ice around her starting to crack. “It’s okay.” I say slowly and start to take off my skates. “Jackson…” Emma cries. “Don’t move, stay where you are.” I say and grab the same stick I use to check the ice. Stupid me should of check the middle, I knew better.

          “Now, don’t worry, I know what I’m going to do. When I count to three, you’re going to grab the stick and I’m going to toss you to the side.” I see her flinch. “No it’s okay, it won’t hurt, and you’ll be okay. Are you ready?” I ask. She nods, tears running down her face. I take a deep breath, “One… Two… Three!” Emma grabs the stick and I hook it around her waist and pull her away from the ice. I toss her to the side, I slip right on the broken ice and I feel the ice break. The last thing I saw was Emma reaching her hand out to me, “Jackson!”

***

          “Emma!!” I yell and shoot up. “Jack?” I hear next to me and I feel someone touch my arm. I flinch and look next to me to see Elsa. I couldn’t stop myself from grabbing her and going into her arms. “Jack what’s wrong?” She asks as she moves her fingers though my hair. “I… I had a nightmare.” I look at her, her baby blue eyes to see them wet form lack of sleep.

          “Do you want to talk about it?” She asks as we slowly start to side back into bed, I lay my head on her chest and listen to her heart beat, I forgot she was still in her bra and underwear but at the moment I don’t care, I had a dream… no a nightmare… no a memory. Something forms my past. “It was about my sister.” I feel Elsa stop messing with my hair, “Sister?” “Please Elsa… I don’t remember much. I just want to lay here with you and sleep. Please?”

          “Of course.” I feel her kiss my forehead, “Its okay now, I’m here.” She says and moves my arms around her body till I fall back asleep.