Chapter 4

In the week passing Lainey and Jess seemed to get closer and closer to each other and the time had come for the camping/hiking trip Lainey was invited on.

Lainey eagerly packed her duffel bag and slid her sleeping bag through the short straps and slung the long strap over her shoulder along with her tent over her other shoulder. She had never really been camping or hiking, but she knew she would enjoy it, especially since it was with Jess and her friends. Lainey packed just about everything, including a first aid kit, for emergencies only.

She joined Jess and another friend in her car and they drove North to the green land. Southern California would always be the golden hills, but it wasn't that dreamy, it was just beyond dead weeds and buildings as far as the eye could see. As the car drove further north, the city's skyscrapers were lost behind the hills and all there was to see was farm land which slowly transformed into the beautiful wilderness filled with green trees and the sun trying to shine its way through them, casting shadows everywhere. Lainey felt peaceful here, even though she had never been there and didn't know what it would offer.

The car turned off road onto a steep bumpy dirty track that trailed through the trees, it took them maybe less than two miles on the steep bumpy road before Jess pulled along side another car and pulled it in park. She sighed and turned the engine off.

"You have arrived at your destination." She smiled cheekily and then flung open her creaky door.

Lainey followed and opened the back door and the fresh crisp air was like a slap in the face, it was there the moment she stepped out. The city was always filled with pollution and you were lucky if you even felt like you were breathing let alone getting a full breath of clean air. She smiled and grabbed her bag and tent out of the trunk to find a spot to set up. Other tents were already set up near each other in a clearing, but Lainey didn't really know these people, she felt uncomfortable sleeping right next to them. How was she supposed to know if she snored or talked in her sleep. She set her things down near a tree outside of the circle and began to set up her tent.

Jess, Lainey and Jess's friend drove up together in her beat up Honda, but there was another car Lainey was yet to see the people of. Just as she looked around, a young man jumped out of the bushes near the car and scared the other girls still rummaging through the trunk.

"You're a fucking asshole, you know that?" Jess looked frustrated while holding her hand over her heart.

"Oh but that's what you love most about me." He smirked and leaned flirtatiously against the car next to Jess. He put his hand on her shoulder and rubbed it, but then soon after he grabbed her tent and began to set it up somewhere near Lainey's spot. Lainey rolled her eyes and continued to work on her own tent. There two other girls that drove up with him in his truck, all were invited by Jess.

Lainey struggled with a piece of the tent and the guy setting Jess's tent up looked over and chuckled. He was nearly done with the tent he started minutes ago. "Do you need some help with that?" He asked.

"Nope." She said shortly and fixed the piece she was struggling with. When the tent was finally done, Lainey set her things inside and set up her sleeping bag and other blanket.

She came outside and everyone was near the edge of a rock looking off into the scenery. There were no trees, no bushes, just a rock ledge and steps leading down. Lainey made her way to the ledge where everyone was.

"Lainey," Jess said excitingly, "check out the view." She smiled eagerly. The first thing Lainey saw about the view was Jess in a white bikini. She must've had it on under her clothes and quickly changed. When her eyes diverted off Jess, Lainey could see the scenery of the lake and all the trees and mountains on the other side.