Catching Fireflies Part 1

Chapter 12

The sound of bells echoed throughout the academy, signaling the end of the day's classes. I immediately put away my belongings and got up.

This was my first day of school as Hailey Perelman at Adelaide Academy. Being a third-year college student wasn't that hard for me back then because I was taking Liberal Arts. But now, I need to take Fashion Design because that is what Hailey's course is. I just have to say that being Hailey is kind of annoying.

In a distant place, behind the gigantic mountains of Dalmia, a boy named Agusto lives with his father, whose only livelihood is farming.

"Oh my god! Hailey, I was so worried about you when I heard the news that you had an accident. God! I was very nervous. How's your feeling, dear? ” I turned to the woman who was almost shouting what she said.

Her curly hair is only up to her shoulders. Her makeup is thick, and many accessories are attached to her body. Diamond Lim is Hailey's best friend, but to be honest, she was about to hold a party last time when she found out that the owner of the body had gotten into an accident.

Sometimes, I feel sorry for Hailey because she doesn't have any real friends. But if I think deeply, I don't even have it.

Now I think that somehow Hailey and I still have something in common.

"But, dear am, what's the story with your outfit today?" She seems to hate the way I look now. I'm only wearing jeans and a blouse because this is just the sensible dress I found in Hailey's closet. Well, I understand her a little bit because I would also be surprised if I saw Hailey dressed up like this. But the thing is, I am not her. So I will decide what I like to wear.

I stared at Diamond. I don't want to answer stupid questions coming from a dumb person.

“Okay, girl, there is something wrong with you." She gulped and stepped back.

“Are you finished? I have some urgent work to do, so can I excuse myself already? ” I asked it as if I was narrating and did not need her answer.

However, when I diverted my gaze from her because she was disgusted, my eyes turned to the front door. When I saw the grim reaper named Saint standing like some godly masterpiece there, he was not in Albus' body this time, and he was wearing the pandora hat that makes him invisible to human eyes.

I sighed when I thought that maybe he was here to fetch me. I was about to leave when someone grabbed my wrist.

Ugh, Diamond again.

“What is your problem?” She asked furiously. But despite that, I remain emotionless and throw her a damn question back.

“Answer me, Hailey!”

Diamond's sudden snap made my eyebrow arc. She looks pitiful now. I tried my best not to roll my eyes.

How pathetic.

“Get lost,” I said, while I sighed. I was fascinated by Diamond's face. When I came out of the room, I heard her scream, but I did not look at her anymore.

Damn, I hate hypocrites.

Why did you do that?

I looked at the man I was following now as he asked that. When I remembered what happened the other day, I slightly swallowed but composed myself so that it would not be noticeable.

'Do what?''

Make that pretty lady cry?'

That's when I stopped walking.

Like seriously? '

Pretty lady? Are you serious? Do you think she's pretty? If she's pretty, therefore, there is nothing pretty in the world at all. She's ugly, don't you know? Damn! You have no taste. '

My ears tingled when I heard his loud chuckle. We are in the hallway now, and even if I want to strike or punch this Grim Reaper, I can't do it because I will look stupid. So, instead of having a problem, I just chose to follow him until we got to an abandoned room.

He entered there and then I followed. But to my surprise, when he opened it, the road welcomed us.

Damn! Is that teleportation?

I was in a state of shock when he sat in a waiting shed. While trying to calm down, I just sat down too. That was when Saint removed his hat, which made him visible to human eyes. And it was the reason why people around us turned their gaze to him. I couldn't blame them, whether I admit it or not. I know the grim reaper with me is handsome.

I just shook my head and looked around. However, my forehead suddenly furrowed when I saw that we were not the only ones here. I also see grim reapers on every corner of the highway. But this grim reaper next to me is the only one that shares with the world his presence.

One day, Agusto was told by his father to stop hunting fireflies every night like he used to do. His father also noticed that his son always went out at night, no matter how dangerous the night was.

I frowned when I turned to him. “What is happening?”

Without looking, he took something from inside his cloak. It was a small black envelope.

“Pick up, Death Souls.” When he said that, my body hair immediately stood up. At the same time, there was a sudden accident that occurred in front of me. I immediately turned around.

That is when I saw how the truck collided with a bus carrying many students inside. I almost shuddered at what had happened.

That was when the Grim Reaper beside me formally stood up.

"Let's go. We should start. ” Then he put on his hat back. I was left unsure of what to do next and just stared at the unexpected event.

What the hell just happened?

I M _ V E N A