Chapter Eight

Sakari's POV

"Lightning is a pure expression of Firebending, without aggression. It is not fueled by rage or emotion the way other Firebending is. Some call lightning the cold-blooded fire. It is precise and deadly, like Azula. To perform the technique requires peace of mind." Iroh explained to Zuko, handing him a cup of tea while I listened from beside them.

"I see." Zuko said. "That's why we're drinking tea, to calm the mind."

"Oh, yeah, good point!" Iroh stated happily. "I mean, yes." He said more slowly.

I laughed and followed them outside, where Iroh would be teaching Zuko a new Firebending technique.

"There is energy all around us." Iroh explained. "The energy is both Yin and Yang, a positive energy and a negative energy. Only a small percentage of Firebenders can separate these energies. This creates an imbalance. The energy wants to restore balance. And in the moment the positive and negative energy come crashing back together, you provide release and guidance, creating lightning."

I found all of this very interesting and listened just as closely as Zuko did. After explaining the process, Iroh waved his arms around and created lightning, shooting it up into the sky.

"Cool!" I yelled. "I wish I could do that."

"I'm ready to try it." Zuko stated.

"Remember, once you separate the energy, you do not command it. You are simply its humble guide." Iroh told Zuko.

I watched as Zuko attempted to create lightning, but it simply blew up in his face and threw him backwards. He was going to get so mad.

"Alright, Iroh, I think it's time for another healing session." I said, pulling him towards the burnt cottage and leaving Zuko to practice by himself.

Iroh removed his bandages and laid down, I opened my water skin and began running the water over Iroh's wound, healing him slowly.

"Do you think he can do it?" I asked, referring to Zuko.

"I do not know." He replied as we heard a few more explosions happening outside.

"Sounds like it's going well." I said sarcastically.

"Why can't I do it?!" We heard Zuko yell after another explosion. "Instead of lightning, it keeps exploding in my face, like everything always does."

Iroh and I paused and looked at each other, we were both getting worried about Zuko, we didn't want him to slip into a dark place.

"That'll do for now." I said, bending the water back into my skin and rewrapping Iroh's bandages.

We quickly made our way outside to see Zuko staring at the ground, looking very defeated.

"I was afraid this might happen." Iroh stated. "You will not be able to master lightning until you have dealt with the turmoil inside you."

"What turmoil?!" Zuko yelled.

"Calm down, hothead." I said, picking up a stick and pretending that I was going to throw it at him, making him flinch a little.

"Zuko." Iroh sighed. "You must let go of your feelings of shame if you want your anger to go away."

"But I don't feel any shame at all. I'm as proud as ever." Zuko said, getting annoyed.

"Prince Zuko, pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source." Iroh explained. "True humility is the only antidote to shame."

"Well, my life has been nothing but humbling lately." Zuko said, calming down a little.

Iroh looked at me, he seemed to be thinking something, before turning back to Zuko.