Chapter Seventeen

Sakari's POV

"You did the right thing." I reassured Zuko as we entered our small home.

"Freeing the Avatar's bison was the right thing to do." Iroh added.

"I don't feel right." Zuko stated, groaning and collapsing to the floor.

"Zuko!" Iroh and I yelled, worry evident in our voices.

We rushed to his side and I bended some water from my water skin, preparing to heal him.

"Does he have any injuries?" I asked, worried about my boyfriend's wellbeing.

"I don't think so." Iroh replied, feeling Zuko's forehead. "He has a fever. Go and get me a pillow and some blankets."

I scrambled to my feet, running into the bedroom Zuko shared with Iroh and ripping the blankets from his bed. I returned to Iroh, and a now shirtless Zuko, who took the blankets from me and placed them over him, he then lifted his head and placed a pillow underneath it.

"Is he gonna be ok?" I asked Iroh.

"He will be fine."

*****

Hours passed and Zuko was still unconscious, he was sweating like crazy and he looked to be in pain. I had pulled some moisture from the air and was using it to try to cool him down, but eventually I got tired from getting no sleep and Iroh made me take a nap on the couch. I don't know how long I was asleep for, but I woke up to Zuko moaning, I sprung up from the couch and rushed to his side.

"How long was I asleep for?" I asked Iroh.

"Only about an hour." He replied, turning back to Zuko who was now awake. "You're burning up. You have an intense fever."

"This should help cool you down." I said softly, bending some water onto his forehead.

"So thirsty." Zuko said, his voice dry and more raspy than usual.

He tried to sit up, but I placed my hands on his bare chest and gently pushed him back down. He needed to rest.

"Here's some drinking water." Iroh told him, bringing a ladle of water to his mouth. "Stay under the blankets and sweat this out."

Zuko took a sip of the water and immediately grabbed the spoon, sculling what was left in it before throwing it carelessly behind him. Then he turned on his side and grabbed the bucket of water, tipping it over his face and drinking what he could, before laying back down and drifting into sleep once again. I sat next to him while he slept, watching his facial expressions shift from calm to angry to hurt to calm again. He seemed to be dreaming about something, mumbling things that I couldn't quite make out. I held his hand in mine and hoped he would be ok.

*****

"Do you know what's going on with him, Iroh?" I asked as Zuko stirred awake.

"This is not a natural sickness." Iroh explained, pouring three cups of tea. "But that shouldn't stop you from enjoying a nice cup of tea."

Iroh lifted Zuko up and held the cup to his mouth, letting him take a sip. I grabbed my own cup from the table and took a mouthful myself, listening to Iroh and Zuko talk.

"What... What's happening?" Zuko asked.

"Your critical decision, what you did under that lake, it was in such conflict with how you perceive yourself that you are now at war within your own mind and body." Iroh explained, giving Zuko another sip of tea.

"What do you mean?" Zuko asked, coughing a few times and laying back down.

He looked so vulnerable. I had never seen him this sick and weak.

"You're going through a metamorphosis, Prince Zuko. It will not be a pleasant experience." Iroh said.

"He'll be ok thought, right?" I asked, getting worried.

"Yes." Iroh replied. "When you come out of it, you will be the beautiful Prince you were always meant to be.

Iroh placed a wet cloth on Zuko's forehead as he slipped from consciousness once again. Iroh looked exhausted, and I felt bad that he hadn't gotten any sleep.

"Iroh, you should get some sleep." I told him. "I'll take care of him."

Iroh nodded and handed me the cloth, which I held to Zuko's forehead, before tiredly walking to his bedroom, shutting the door behind him. I looked back down at Zuko, who was shaking his head around like he was having a nightmare, so I decided to do something my mother used to do when I was sick. I sang to him.

*****

"Muuuuum!" I yelled from my bed; I was maybe seven at the time.

My mother – adoptive mother – Kya entered the bedroom I shared with my siblings, holding a bucket of water.

"My sweet, Sakari, are you feeling any better?" She asked me, sitting beside me on the bed.

"A little." I replied, I had had a horrible cold for the last few days. "I'm thirsty."

"Here you go, dear." She said softly, holding a ladle up to my lips so that I could drink.

"Thank you, mummy." I said, smiling up at her.

She smiled back and tucked me in tightly, then she bent down and kissed my forehead.

"I love you so much, Sakari." She whispered.

She was about to leave the room, but I didn't want her to leave yet.

"Mummy?" I asked. "Will you sing to me?"

"Of course, dear." She replied, sitting back down next to me and clearing her throat.

Somewhere over the rainbow

Way up high

There's a land that I heard of

Once in a lullaby

Somewhere over the rainbow

Skies are blue

And the dreams that you dare to dream

Really do come true

Someday I'll wish upon a star

And wake up where the clouds are far

Behind me

Where troubles melt like lemon drops

Away above the chimney tops

That's where you'll find me

Somewhere over the rainbow

Bluebirds fly

Why then, oh why can't I?

If happy little bluebirds fly

Beyond the rainbow

Why, oh why can't I?

*****

"Birds fly over the rainbow

Why then, oh why can't I?

If happy little bluebirds fly

Beyond the rainbow

Why, oh why can't I?"

I finished the song and found that Zuko looked calmer than he was before; maybe he could hear me.

"What a beautiful song." Iroh said from the couch behind me, making me jump.

"My mother used to sing it to me." I explained. "How long have you been sitting there?"

"Since you were wishing upon a star." I replied, referencing the song.

I let out a small chuckle, as did he, when both of us were suddenly scared by Zuko waking up in a fit of terror. It must have been a horrible nightmare.