Danger In The Forest

The next morning, Flynn and Rufus headed into town to ask around for any leads on this German man who seemed to be showing interest in the Lindbergh family.

They started in the same place they always seemed to start; the bar. The barkeep stated that there were a lot of foreigners in town lately. He couldn't keep track of all of them. He suggested that they go to the airfield to watch Charles Lindbergh's demonstration. He believed that many of the people who might be in town for the flight would be there.

Flynn thanked the barkeep and the two headed outside.

Rufus asked, "What do you think? Should be head to the airfield?"

Flynn's eyes scanned the streets. No one immediately stood out to him as being suspicious. He nodded. "Let's start making our way out there, but keep your eyes open," he ordered. "If you see anyone that doesn't seem to fit in around here, let me know."

"Oh, like them?" Rufus asked, pointing to the window.

Flynn's eyes darted over to see their reflections. He rolled his eyes, walking down the street.

Rufus laughed. "Come on, that was funny."

Lucy and Wyatt returned to the house. Anne had invited them outside to the gardens. Charles Jr. was playing in the shaded grass.

Anne smiled at the two. "It's refreshing to meet decent folk," she stated. "It's been a while since I've had tea with anyone."

"Do you not have any friends?" Lucy asked.

Anne shook her head. "Not many these days, I'm afraid."

"Why is that?" Lucy asked, showing concern.

Anne shook her head. "We've been moving about so much...not to mention the people who are interested in my husband's work..." her voice softened. "Or my husband."

Lucy nodded, understanding her words. "I understand what you mean," she admitted. When Anne's eyes darted to Wyatt then back to Lucy, Lucy added, "I've had my fair share of women who've done the same to my husband."

Wyatt smiled. "I've tried to explain to these women that I'm off the market-"

"I wish Charles would tell women that," Anne stated. "He's less inclined to say that to them." They could see the pain in her eyes. She shook her head. "Listen to me whine like a child. I'm sorry."

Lucy offered a warm smile. "It's okay. Really. If you can't talk to friends, who can you talk to?"

Anne released a short chuckle. "Thank you. Oh, it's time for his nap. I'll be right back." Anne stood up and grabbed the baby off the lawn, carrying him into the house.

Wyatt's eyes scanned the garden and house. He asked, "Does it say how this kid was kidnapped?"

Lucy nodded. "He was taken straight out of his crib. It's supposed to happen tonight."

Wyatt studied the house. "Which room is the kid's?"

Lucy shook her head. "I don't know...it has to be one of these over here." She pointed to the back of the house on the bottom level. She added, "The weird thing is... he was kidnapped on March 1st, but the ransom wasn't collected until April 2nd...then they found his body on May 12th, not far from here in these woods."

Wyatt's eyes scanned the woods behind the house. "Do you think there's any reason to suspect that this is the work of Bloodstone?"

Lucy's brow furrowed. "What do you mean?"

Wyatt sighed. "I don't know, it's just speculation, but..." He turned back to her, leaning close to speak softer. "Think about it... Bloodstone kidnapped Mata Hari. They kidnapped Poe's wife and who knows how many others that we don't know about."