21. Kindaichi/Kunimi.

"- Come with us, they said. It'll be fun, they said. You're gonna discover the United States, see the Grand Canyon... They never said that we were going to get lost while it's 117 fucking degrees Fahrenheit outside.*

- Kunimi, please. Kindaichi sighed, wiping the sweat off of his forehead. That's not the end of the World, we'll just find a checkpoint soon.

- Oh yeah, right. Akira scoffed, smirking bitterly. In another two hours ? 'Cause you said it already-

- Fucking Jesus Christ, Kunimi ! If you don't shut the fuck up, I'll let you here."

Yuutarou walked a little faster, leaving his boyfriend behind. The only thing around them was brownish columns and the blue sky above their heads. They were on a trip with their old volleyball team, a way to "connect back" with friends. On the paper, it was a great idea. Even more, it was really a good idea until Kunimi and Kindaichi had the urge to get a bit physical during their hiking and had loose the rest of the group during the fifteen minutes they were occupied. They had to choose between some roads and unfortunately, they followed the wrong ones and they were now in the middle of nowhere. The day was really hot and they had no water, Iwaizumi and Kyoutani being the ones in charge of carrying the bottles. It had been a few hours now, the watch on Akira's wrist showing a quarter past 4 pm.

"- Yuu, listen, I'm sorry... I just-... I'm scared and tired..."

The turnip-headed turned on his heels, facing his lover. They stared into each others eyes for a long moment before the former middle blocker's shoulders relaxed and he brought the other in a hug. They stayed like this until they realized they should get going again.

They walked and walked and walked again. The sun was still high in the sky, sending waves of hotness on their burning skins. Literally. Their skins were red and blisters had started to form on their faces and arms as they were wearing short-sleeves t-shirts. The smell was horrendous, something between grilled pork and nothing they had ever smelled. The dehydration was getting worst, their mouths were dry and they weren't sweating anymore.

Kindaichi looked over his shoulder and winced when he saw his boyfriend trailing far behind him. Kunimi lifted heavy-lidded eyes to the other's face, grimacing when he felt his head spinning. Suddenly, he sat down on the floor.

"- Get up, we have to-

- Go without me, Yuu. We both know I'm not gonna make it, I'm just slowing you down.

- No, no, Aki, I won't do that !" the former number 12 knelled besides the ex-wing spiker, grabbing him by his shoulders.

The man just shook his head, pushing his lover away with a weak hand. Yuutarou felt like crying but he just couldn't, his body not having enough water to allow it. His fingers grazed over the damaged skin of Akira's visage, quickly backing away when the latter growled.

"- I-I'm not, I can't, I-I...

- You're gonna die too if you stay with me !

- Don't say that, we'll get over this together !

- Just go already ! I love you, Yuutarou and-and-"

The former number 13 was shushed by a pair of lips meeting his owns. He melted into the kiss, savoring the contact as he thought it was the last they would share together. Kindaichi recoiled and pressed his forehead to the other's eyes fluttering shut.

"- I will bring help, I promise you.

- Okay.

- I love you, more than anything.

- I love you too, always."

The turnip-headed stood up and took a few steps back, eyes never wavering from the dying boy in front of him. After shooting him a last smile and gaining one in return, he turned his back oh him and didn't look back once. It was the last image they both wanted to etch in their mind.

*47 degrees Celsius.