23. Kageyama/Hinata.

Hinata and Kageyama were far away form the rest of their team. It was always like that when the Karasuno's volleyball players were going out for a run, the two first years running ahead from the others, out of sight.

The numbers 9 and 10 were shoulder to shoulder, racing each other to win. They arrived at a pedestrian crossing and the ginger one came to a stop when he noticed the traffic light turning red for the walkers. On the other hand, his dark-haired friend didn't see it and started to cross the road. The immobile one was already opening his mouth to warn him when a loud noise resonated in the air. Both of the boys turned their head to see the imposing white truck coming right on Tobio. The driver could not brake as cars were following him closely. The setter was frozen on place, unable to move or blink. He watched as the truck came even closer and at the last moment he shut his eyes, held his breath, waiting for the collision.

Which didn't happen, or at least not with the vehicle. He felt tiny hands pushing him out of the way and his body met the floor of the sidewalk on the other side of the road. There was a loud crash, the sound of bones snapping and a scream. Kageyama kept his head down for a moment, taking the pain coming from different parts of his body that had been scratched up. He could feel some blood flowing out and his head was pulsing in sync with his heart pumping frantically. The sound of a car's door opening came to him in his foggy mind. He winced and growled when a voice shouted something in a panicked tone. The number 9 finally opened his eyes and was welcomed by a sight he had never wanted to see. The truck driver was out of his vehicle, kneeling down near Hinata. Or the thing that looked like him. His ginger hair was contrasting with the concrete but not with the dark red liquid that was leaking on it. His shoulder was in a weird angle and his face was already bruising. The setter couldn't see anything more since the man that had crash into him was bent above his body.

More doors started to open and a little girl was crying. Suddenly, rapid footsteps of lots of people could be heard in the street. Tobio figured out it was their team that finally had catch up on them.

Sugawara was the first one to arrive and he gasped when his eyes landed on his fellow setter, but tears gathered as well when he saw the form of the little ball of sunshine laying on the cold road. Behind him, Yamaguchi lost his colors and would have fall to the ground if Tsukishima wasn't here to catch him up. The blond did not look into their direction even once, too afraid to see what had made his boyfriend faint. Tanaka and Nishinoya didn't loose any time and rushed to where the panicked driver was. Ryuu put him up too his feet and started yelling, menacing the poor man. When the latter tried to explain it was not his fault, Nishinoya growled and tried to punch him. Ennoshita came, calm as ever, and did his best to cool everyone down.

Kageyama couldn't take his eyes away from the body he was completely seeing now. He could not believe what he was watching.

Daichi followed Chikara but instead of freaking out, he knelled to his injured teammate and pulled his phone out.

"- My-my teammate has been hit by a t-truck ? the captain stammered, in shock as well. He's bleeding and I think his two legs are broken ? I don't-t know. His shoulder might be dislocated too.

-...

- He's not conscious but he is breathing and his heart beats.

-...

- Uuuhm- Narita !? Can you go check on Kageyama please !?"

The aforementioned did as he was asked, leaving Kinoshita to take care of a vomiting Asahi and a still crying Suga.

Kazuhito walked up to him quickly, brows furrowed and a worried look on his face. He landed a hand on his shoulder and shook him slightly. The boy wouldn't even look at him.

"- You okay, Kags ?

- I ruined his life.

- W-what ? Kageyama, what-what are you talking about ?

- He won't be able to play volleyball anymore... I ruined Hinata's life !"

His scream made everyone freeze and his voice cracked at the end of the sentence. Tears flooded down his cheeks, surprising himself. He kept on saying this again and again as he broke down, curling on himself, not even able to go at the side to his hurting teammate.