☆*✿THIRTEEN (13) ❀*★

♪♪When the working day is done

Oh when the working day is done, oh girls

Girls, they wanna have fun, everybody

They just wanna, they just wanna (girls) ♪♪

ᴺᴼᵂ ᴾᴸᴬᵞᴵᴺᴳ [Girls just want to have fun] - [Cindy Lauper]

══════ ✿❁︾❁✿ ══════

She was finally free! Free to walk again without the crutches. The crushing weight of her entire body on her two legs sent a pinching sensation up her spine, but the adrenal rush and lightness she felt in her chest overshadowed it.

"Esmé Black!"

The loud shout of her name let her focus on her surroundings once again. The smell of antiseptic and bleach swirled through her nose, and she scrunched it up immediately. Her eyes travelled past the white walls along with the swift walking people in the hallway dressed in white coats to find the source of the voice.

Esmé didn't have to search too long as Petra was already storming towards her. Her smoky grey eyes sparkled and her Cupid's bow lips raised in an enormous grin as she waved to her.

Esmé's previous grin made it back to her lips once Petra made it to her side.

"My, my. As I live and breathe, my precious Esmé is walking on her own two feet." Her bubbly voice moved up to match her excitement.

Esmé chuckled and rose her hands, twirling for a little demonstration. "As you live and breathe."

"And that is a grin I'm definitely sure I haven't seen before. That happy, huh?" Her brows went up with the tip of her lips teasing Esmé.

"You have no idea. It's a huge relief and a step forward."

They both chuckled as Petra fully realized that Esmé was standing there alone. "Where's Lucija? She didn't come with you?"

Esmé's grin faltered and her brows drew together at the thought of Lucija. "No, she said this place brought back memories she didn't wish to relieve. And with the incident of the other day, she wanted to stay clear of Kian, I guess." Petra winced at Esmé's statement and her light died instantly.

Esmé took point on this and her head tilted to the side, her brows further drawing inwards. It threw her back to the time she first met Lucija, the animosity between both of them. "You wouldn't be the reason she hates this place, would you?"

Petra sighed. "You can say so. I told you when you first woke up, you saved me. Well, I meant it. Before then, I was a heartbroken mess. A terrible one and I became a tosser. I made people feel like the mess I was. I made them seem like trash."

With Esmé's focus on Lucija, the reason Petra was a heartbroken mess was pushed aside. She crossed her hands over her chest and leaned back a little, the news coming as a shock. "Even Lucija?"

"Especially Lucija. She was my intern, and she was good at her job."

"But you didn't commend her ..."

"Pfft, Commend? Not a chance. Her job placement got sabotaged here, thanks to me. I mean, she wasn't the only one I was a jerk to, yes, but she got the brunt of it. I've made amends with others but with her, it's been..."

"Way difficult. Yeah, I know."

Petra exhaled and gave Esmé a small smile. "Damage was done, but I will not give up. Five years? Pfft, what're five years to Petra Wilson?"