Chapter 13: Should've Stayed Inside

Hey fans! Sorry this took so long, but I had to wait for decent internet to upload. As most of you know I will be having surgery on December 13th, so I probably won't be updating again for probably several days afterwards. I got a chapter done in each story last night, so... hope you enjoy! Now wish that I have some of Artemis' brilliance so I can pass this history exam. >.<

**********************************************************************

Diana sat on top of the picnic table in her backyard. She was awaiting her friends to finish getting ready for bed; they were all to sleep outside in the camper, since it was the only place in her tiny house or yard that would fit all six of them comfortably. She figured she would be the first one to be ready, but then again, she had had a long day. Right now, she was just content with watching the stars as she waited patiently for her friends to join her.

It was a clear night, and for once, you were able to see a lot of stars in the skies over the city of Flint. Typically on a summer night, you would hardly be able to see starts due to the haze and city lights, but tonight was a strange exception. On top of that it was an eerily silent night as well, something else that was unusual for Flint. Normally sirens pierced the skies, but tonight there was no noise, not even a cricket stirred. Diana had a bad feeling about it; the night never remained quiet for long in the most dangerous city in the country.

The girl lay back, stretching out across the picnic table. Diana closed her eyes, letting her thoughts drift away. She was unsure of how to take her friends' judgments on her situation with Artemis. They had given her a mixed review- some happy, some angry. Diana had expected it; her friends were not known for their general liking of Diana's potential love interests. Their skepticism was certainly nothing new to her. If anything, she was surprised by some of their support, even if they insisted she was, in fact, in love with Artemis Fowl.

The name rang through her thoughts once again. Artemis Fowl. She felt a shiver run down her spine, and it wasn't because she was cold. There was no way she was cold, not on this balmy, summer night. Diana didn't understand why he kept crossing her mind like he did; he was just some guy she met. No he's not, part of her mind added. You know you like him, so just quit denying it. Before Diana's mind could make a counter argument, she heard something sound like it had hopped over the metal fence at the back of her yard. The girl sat up quickly, causing her head to spin slightly as she glanced around her yard.

Diana was shocked when she saw nothing at all in her field of vision. She had pretty good night-vision, by human standards, and could usually see in the dark better than most people. When she knew she heard something, but saw nothing, she grew a bit concerned. Maybe she was just tired and hallucinating. She rested her head in her hands, staring back out at the chain link fence at the far end of the yard. What was taking her friends so long? She was growing weary of sitting outside alone. But was she truly alone?

Out of the corner of her eye, Diana caught the glimpse of something moving. She turned to stare in the direction of the camper, and she saw a figure standing there. She could tell it was a human, one taller than she was, and she could really only make out their silhouette in the darkness. Immediately, Diana jumped down onto more stable ground, positioning herself in a defensive stance.

As the figure approached her, Diana gave them a warning, "Stay back; you don't know what you're dealing with." However, that warning didn't faze the intruder, and immediately Diana wished she hadn't left her pocket knife in the house. Undeterred, Diana tried again, "Didn't you hear me? I said get the hell out of here."

This time she got an answer from the intruder. "I'm not leaving until I get what I want," a woman's voice retorted, something Diana hadn't been expecting. Typically speaking, most women weren't going to commit crime, even if it was only trespassing on private property. The intruder took a step in her direction, making Diana take an involuntary step backwards.

"And what's that?" she asked, not sure if she wanted to hear the answer.

"A friend of mine wants to speak with you," the woman attempted to persuade, her face finally visible to Diana in the dim lighting. Diana noticed how the intruder's brown eyes almost glowed against her pale skin, and how dark her hair was, causing it to blend in with the darkness. She looked like she meant business, and Diana wanted nothing to do with it.

"Who's this friend?" Diana inquired, noticing a slight tremor in her voice, something that usually didn't happen with her. The bad feeling in the pit of her stomach grew worse as time went on.

"Just a businessman who would like to talk to you about your friend, Artemis Fowl," she went on, being as vague as she possibly could with her response to Diana.

Immediately, a red flag went off in Diana's mind. Surely a businessman wanting to talk to her about Artemis was not a good thing. After all, if he really wanted to talk to Artemis about a business venture, why wouldn't he just speak to Artemis directly? Wouldn't that be the easiest route? Besides, she had just met Artemis a few days ago; why wouldn't the businessman talk to someone who had known him longer? So many things were wrong about this situation that Diana instantly became more wary than before.

"I doubt I would be of any use in that department," Diana tried to persuade. "I hardly know Artemis, so I hardly think my opinion on him would count for anything."

Diana saw the woman smirk in the dim lighting. "And that is where you were wrong, child. You're going to give him the exact response from Fowl he wants."

"Um... response?" Diana raised an eyebrow. She suddenly felt her heart sink. Her bad feeling was growing stronger with every passing second in this woman's company. She could really use an escape route, or some back up, but she was nearly positive her friends must've all passed out in the house. When the woman didn't reply to her somewhat question, Diana decided then that she needed to get to the house before something happened. "Well, erm... thanks for the offer, but I'll have to decline."

Diana placed her hand in her hoodie's pocket, grasping her phone tightly as she turned on her heel and began moving as quickly as she could towards her house. Diana immediately regretted not running; she felt herself being tackled to the ground only about ten feet from the door. The girl's fight-or-flight senses kicked in and knew that she was going to have no choice but to fight off her would-be captor. Diana flung an elbow back into the stomach of the woman, hoping it would push her off of her for enough time where she could get into the house.

Sure enough, Diana was able to break free from her adversary for a moment, and had finally made it to the deck. All she had to do was climb up the three steps to the deck and open the back door. As her foot hit the first step, the girl felt a sharp pain in her shoulder, and in an instant, everything went black.