Ticking Time Bomb

Race's POV

"But I'm no gambler! I swear my parents would lose their minds if they found!"

"Common ya signed up for da full package, accessories included."

"I thought that just meant 'top hat and all.'" he pauses before noddin in my direction. "Besides, isn't that more of a you and Race thing?"

"Race don't mind. Do ya Race?" She brushes off looking ova ta me. Taken by surprise, I manage ta shake my head. "Besides ya don't have ta bet, it's just ta sell the whole act, alright?" He gives in and I inwardly grown.

Dis'll be quite the day.

______________________________________

Things has just been weird. I've neva really been so distant from Spades, but I can't bring myself ta go ova ta her and just say hi; even if she would give me the time of day. I new she was... associates with Davey? The point is I didn't even know they was close. It's just kinda irkin ya know? Eidda way, our party of three has entered Sheepshead's, Davey went ta get seat while Spades had gone ta fill out bets. She finished first, so ise is just here finishin up.

"Hello." I hear from behind me. I glance up briefly, observin it was dis blonde goil in a fancy white lacey dress.

"Hi." I respond, my gaze quickly dartin back ta my bet.

"I've seen you around here before." She keeps tryin ta pick out some conversation, like a scab dat was doing just fine before ya let it bleed out again.

"Ah."

"You're always with that girl." Gesturing ta the only girl in the stands wearing a top hat.

"Yeah well, wes is friends."

"I see." She pauses a bit, but keeps standin there so I guess she ain't goin away. "Who's that guy with her?"

I'd be careful at how hard youse is pickin.

"He's her friend too." I grumble ta myself, keepin onta scribblin numbers down.

"He doesn't seem like just a friend to me." She scoffs. "But then again, you didn't either and here you are."

Careful ma'am...

"Are you some kinda stalker or somethin?" I snap.

"Just an observant citizen."

"Stalk someone else for me will ya?" Wit which I storm back off ta the stands.

—————————————————

Sock's POV

I don't have the majority of the money I owe Stripes, and I don't have a lotta time left. I don't know how I can make any more than I'm giving him right now, so I have to come up with something else. Right now I'm selling with my friend Freckles when I hear a clicking coming from her vicinity. It's annoying enough to jerk me outta my thoughts and notice her fidgeting with something in her pocket.

"The heck are you doin now?" She freezes like a dear in head lights, slowly drawing her hand from her pocket as to avoid any sudden or obvious movement.

Little late for dat

"Sellin and I recommend you do the same."

"No what was you playin with in your pocket?" She hesitates before letting a smirk spread across her face before flashing me a look at a shiny metal handl- WAIT

"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOIN WITH THAT THING?" I whisper scream in astonishment. She quickly shushes me and pushes it deep into her pocket.

"Birthday present. Somethin special from my old man."

"WHY? WHY ON EARTH DO YOU HAVE THAT A WEAPON? YOU'RE 14!"

"My old man saw me beat up afta battle numero dos - the failed one - I told it was the just the DeLancey's, sos he gave me my good friend ova here Mr. Walker Colt." After taking a quick glance around, she leans over and whispers, "thought he might help wit our war efforts." horror tugs at a desolate corner of my mind as a sickening smirk crosses my from one mouth corner to the other.

"Y'know, I think Mr. Colt may be onta somethin."

——————————————————

I'm so sorry this took so long to get out, writer's block hurts. I have some interesting plot points coming up so the next chapters will probably be out faster. Thank you all so much I can't tell you how much your support means ❤️❤️❤️