Prologue

A/N

Thanks for being here. Yes this is my first dnf. Yes I am unnecessarily scared to death. Thanks again :)

Cas

Far away, a machine was moving.

The spherical body of a hemibot, shining dully, split apart halfway through horizontally. The top half raised itself off the body, extended by a pole through the hemibot's middle, and began to rotate, turning a full 180 degrees around and then pausing at the table that was now in front of its top half.

The machine waited a full 5 seconds, as if determining its next action, and then lowered its top half back onto its body with a soft thud. There was another pause, and a single hole opened in the hemibot's middle. Slowly, carefully, an arm-like extension made its way out.

Yet another pause. Hemibots were an elaborate piece of technology, but not perfect... yet. Someday, maybe. But not yet.

The arm moved to the table, nimbly tapping an imbeded screen, which came to life instantly. The Hemibot's arm whirred as it typed out a message.

It took nearly 20 minutes for the entirety to be done, but when it was, the robot paused once again, retracted its arm, and waited.

It took 4.279 seconds for the data to be transferred to the Hemibot's core.

From there, the bot simply labeled it "Announcement 1057".

The said announcement was then sent out to a select contact list, labeled "Executives" in the machine's records.

A few moments later, the announcement was returned to the Hemibot, having been approved by an executive, one who was not a machine but a person, a real, living, breathing person. The machine, unable to comprehend this, didn't bother trying.

Instead, it accessed its records again, this time selecting one marked "Society". A plain, simple name, in the Hemibot's opinion. But then again, it didn't really have an opinion. It was, after all, just a robot.

And yet the bot paused, and didn't quite send the message just yet. Perhaps just another inevitable pause due to the technology. Or perhaps... something else.

Nevertheless, the machine reverted its power once again, and sent the message, wirelessly, to the chosen contact.

All across the world, phones emitted the same soft chime.

A new era was coming.