Chapter Two

A few hours later, Y/N was standing in front of the party's location; the Maison de Couronnes, the largest and most extravagant of the houses on the Harbor. It had been one of the first buildings completed after humanity first discovered the sea, which frustrated her. She felt that the homes of the people and the essential buildings should have been built first, but this was the reality. This had been a place of disdain for Y/N, and she wrinkled her nose as she walked up the marble steps. Naturally, the Maison de Couronnes had originally been built for whatever noble wanted to stay, but currently, it had been reserved for the Homecoming and Farewell ball.

All four levels of crystal windows were aglow with yellow firefly light, making the white exterior seem to shimmer. Women in evening gowns of every color and extravagant design littered the front stoop, arms looped through their tux-laden partners at their sides. The double oak doors were wide open, and regrettably, Y/N reached the top of the staircase and descended into the palace of doom.

However much she hated to admit it, the inside was beautiful. Clean white walls were decorated with lacy papering and framed artwork from all manner of artists. Staircases of ebony and ivory led to the upper levels light beaming from above. Y/N walked into the entryway, a small circular room that seemed to be the gateway to the ballroom. She tried to make her way through the hall as quickly as possible, avoiding eye contact. She was almost there when she felt a gentle gloved hand on her forearm.

"Excuse me, miss, might I take your coat? You won't be needing it inside, will you?"

Y/N groaned, and reluctantly took off and handed over the fluffy overcoat, which the butler carefully received and smoothed before departing with a bow.

Y/N looked down at herself, and immediately and incredulously blushed. After spending the entirety of that day going dress shopping in what limited stores the Harbor had to offer, Hange and her had decided on a navy blue evening dress from a small-town tailor. It was low-cut, open-backed, and had a slit up the side that showed her thigh; basically highlighting all of her insecurities. One of the only good things about it was the material, a smooth, silky linen that felt cool against her heels as Y/N forced herself to walk the rest of the way to the ballroom doors. The skirt billowed behind her. Hange had also made a big fuss about jewelry, and since there was no arguing with her, Y/N was stuck with a tiny necklace made of crystal, along with earrings to match.

She felt awful, not pretty, and very self-conscious, but she didn't want to go back on her word. She had promised to meet Hange here and didn't want to hurt her feelings. Y/N wasn't here for herself, she was here for Hange, and that was all that mattered. With one final sigh and a leap of courage, Y/N finally reached the doors and swung one open.

The ballroom was bigger than she had expected, however, the interior had her unsurprised. The far wall was one big window, outside she could see a lovely emerald courtyard, and the bushes trimmed to perfection in it. The walls of the ballroom were gold paisley, the paint seemed to glow from all the light. The floor was a light brown flecked marble, but Y/N could hardly make that out under all the bodies swarming on the dance floor. A small orchestra of violins and cellos played a slow tune by the window, all dressed in tuxedos and white gloves. Chandeliers hung from the ceiling, a cake of crystals hanging twenty meters overhead. Altogether, the room seemed perfect, and Y/N felt very out of place.

She moved a little to the side to allow more party-goers to enter, and from her place above the dance floor, she looked for two people. One was Hange, but it was pointless Y/N knew, Hange could disappear into the crowd and never re-emerge. The E/C colored girl wasn't worried, she knew her friend would find her undoubtedly. It was almost as if the brunette had a sensor that let her know when she was nearby.