Chapter Eighteen

A/n: Please note this section contains 18+ NSFW. It is a lemon! Read with discretion.

"Will you marry me?"

The words echoed on the sandy beach, waves crashing in the background. Y/N couldn't speak, couldn't breathe, her heart was right in her throat. This was the love of her life, her darling, her Levi. She loved him more than she loved herself, she would do anything for him. There was only one answer to this life-changing question, and an obvious one at that. Her cheeks turned bright pink, eyes welling up with tears.

"Oh my god... yes."

It seemed they were both finally able to breathe at that moment. He cooed, slipping the ring onto her finger, his warm hand sliding the cold metal band right into place. Then, before either one of them had time to process it, they were embracing, hugging as if their lives depended on it, both crying tears of joy into the others' shoulder. Levi put his hand on the back of Y/N's head, running his fingers through her hair, causing her to cry harder. They pulled away, both with swollen and blotchy eyes, and immediately, their lips were drawn together by supernatural forces. And they were both present, right there, in that moment, and thought of nothing but each other.

Time seemed to stop as their lips continued to dance together, hot breath being exchanged and lost. The kiss became more heated, Y/N's hands wandered to Levi's firm shoulders and hair, twirling it in her hands. Levi's tongue demanded entrance, and without hesitation, Y/N parted her lips for it. He was warm against her, hands wrapped around her waist, holding her. The air was electric, the kiss long and passionate, until finally, the two broke apart, a string of saliva the only reminder of the "session" that had transpired.

"Now, dear, would you care for some dinner?"

He led her back to the house, the sun now down behind the horizon, coating the entire landscape in deep turquoise. As promised, Levi had already prepared dinner for the two of them, an ever-so-rare but delightful surprise. Tonight, he had prepared elk steaks, red potatoes, assorted greens, and fresh-baked dinner rolls, all piping hot and smelling delicious. Y/N smiled, knowing that this kind of thing was something she could now look forward to for the rest of her life. As expected, after he made both of them plates, Levi insisted that they both sit outside on the swinging bench on the back porch to enjoy what was left of the light. Y/N was unsurprised that the food was scrumptious and gladly expressed her gratitude to her fiancé for cooking as she sat down with him. Levi hardly touched his food, instead admiring Y/N and the sparkling new stone on her hand. Y/N looked at the ring too, full of joy. It wasn't an obnoxious, bedazzled thing, instead, a silver band wove its way around one small diamond embedded inside it. It was beautiful, subtle, and perfect in its own right.

When they were both finished, Y/N and Levi relaxed together for a while, her head on his shoulder, his hand in hers. The new night was cold, but together, they were warm. Y/N had never felt such peace, but at the same time, never so much excitement and anxiety. She was thrilled about the engagement, but tomorrow, everything would change.

Her love was leaving her, going to an entirely new continent, a continent filled to the brim with cutthroat murderers. If her feelings from earlier had been bad, then the pain swirling around in her stomach was now severe. She couldn't lose him. But he couldn't abandon his duty.

Y/N loved Levi, and wanted to make him happy more than anything. She wanted him to know she would be right there when he returned, that she would count the days until she could see him again. She wanted him to know he could trust her, and that she would always be there for him.

"...Y/N.... what's wrong?"

"...Levi.... let's go to bed together."

Y/N had never seen Levi so shaken and surprised.