Chapter Four

Y/N woke up the next morning passed out in a sea of her tears and shivering like a fragile leaf on the cold tile. She couldn't remember at first how she had gotten there, but then the memories of the previous night filled her head, and she grasped her sinuses in pain. Whether it was from the emotions coursing through her veins like a drug or the slight hangover she had from the night before, she didn't know.

It wasn't hard for her to sneak back out of the bathroom, down the stairs, and into the frigid dewy morning outside, where the sun had just barely risen. She had gone home, changed out the wrinkled and crimped dress, showered, and put on her uniform, only for a knock to resound on the door of her room.

With some hesitation, Y/N opened the heavy oak entrance, and a tired, wobbly, and severely hungover figure collapsed onto her shoulder.

"Y/N... I'm so sorry for abandoning you last night... I got so caught up greeting everyone and the next thing I knew, you were gone...."

"It's fine, Hange, I get it." Y/N replied earnestly, looking down with concern upon her brunette friend. Truth be told, she had been upset the previous night, another stressor that caused her outburst, but Y/N couldn't stay mad at Hange for too long. She opened the door up all the way to let her friend in, and the unexpected visitor promptly collapsed on her bed.

"Agh... Y/N, I'm such an idiot. I have to address the new regimen of Scouts today, and I'm wasting away..."

Y/N sat down on the bed next to her, Hange turning to look and complaining further. Y/N listened intently, feeling immense pity and compassion for the Commander. Hange was clearly not aware of what had transpired between Y/N and Levi at the Maison de Couronnes, and the H/C female didn't feel like bringing it up or explaining it, it was still an open wound of the mind.

"Hange, you have no business going out or doing anything. You need to rest." She said, consideration in her voice. "I know I'm not as high in ranking as you, and I don't nearly have the respect from the soldiers as you do, but do you want me to go and address the Scouts inste-"

"By all means, Y/N, be my guest. I didn't want to do it in the first place, and besides, you'll probably be better at it than me anyway."

"Are you positive?"

Hange rolled over and shut her eyes. "Definitely." She had passed out on the comforter within seconds. Her friend chuckled, altogether unsurprised, and as if by second nature, she tucked the sleeping woman into her own bed. Hange cooed peacefully in her sleep, and Y/N removed the goggles that seemed to be permanently stuck to her forehead. She was glad that he had already dressed and finished getting ready, eager to let her friend sleep. As quietly as she could, Y/N grabbed her uniform jacket and departed, shutting the door gingerly behind her.

After departing, it didn't take her long to find out where the ceremony was being held. Y/N was unsurprised that most of the new recruits had gathered on the Training Grounds for the introduction, a big stone plateau that could be used for jousting, balancing, and hand-to-hand combat practice. She often came here to clear her mind, it was a safe place turned anxiety-inducing. She scanned the crowd for any sign of him, but saw nothing. She breathed a sigh of relief, then made her way over to the front of the mob where she recognized several important figures chatting amongst themselves. Dot Pyxis, along with Jean Kirstein and Connie Springer looked over the sea of noisy, inexperienced toddlers with disdain, probably wishing to be anywhere else. Y/N couldn't blame them.

"Chief." She saluted Pyxis with the typical hand-over-heart gesture, and he waved a care-free hand to put her at ease.

"Ah, L/N. Have you seen Hange? She's supposed to give a speech in less than twenty minutes..."