Chapter 2

While waiting for him in his spacious, modern office, I'm rethinking every decision I've made

While waiting for him in his spacious, modern office, I'm rethinking every decision I've made. What got into my mind to make me believe I could take him on?

I desperately want to flee, but then I'll become a laughingstock for a good reason. I abruptly disrupted his meeting and ridiculed him in front of his employees. I would be furious if I were him. But then I remember why I'm here in the first place. He's sacrificing children's futures for the sake of another building. Doesn't he have enough already? Why get another one? That's pure greed. Someone once told me that whoever seeks more loses the few they have. In this instance, I agree.

Come on, Eliza. Remember what you're here for. You can't let him get to you! If you want him to take you seriously, you have to give him a reason to do so. No trembling and no stuttering. After this, you can drown yourself in a tub of ice cream and a bottle of wine, but you have to withstand it first.

"Let's hear what you have to say," Alexius King comments, relaxing in his chair with his arms crossed.

"I'm Eliza Johnson, and I work for Sunshine Orphanage."

"I already know that. Can we get to the main point? I'm losing money here for nothing."

I take a deep breath and try to compose myself. "I can do that. I want you to withdraw your offer for the Sunshine Orphanage. You can have anything besides that, and I'm willing to pay big bucks to reimburse you."

Suddenly, he starts hysterically laughing. He drinks water to compose himself before he says, "You think money is my motive for this purchase? If you do, then you're mistaken. This land has one of the highest values in the area. Even if you wanted to reimburse me, you wouldn't even give me a tenth of what this land would provide me in the future."

"Why does everything have to do with value and money? Because no matter how much you deny it, it's money we're talking about! You're comparing life with money, yet you portray yourself as a philanthropist. You're the biggest scum I've ever encountered!"

"Look, lady. I gave you a chance to convince me, but you're here cussing me out. Let's end this conversation before I lose my temper. Yes, the orphanage has to shut down, but we have already found an orphanage that is willing to take all the children, and the employees in Sunshine Orphanage will be absorbed into nearby orphanages. We weren't obliged to do that, yet we did because we're talking about children. If you still have a problem, then it's up to you to solve it." He storms out of the office, not once looking back.

I guess it's time for me to go. I shot my shot and missed. There's nothing left for me to do here. Even if I'm sad to see the kids go, I know I'll be able to look them in the eye with a clear conscience. Now, I'll make most of the time I have left with the kids and leave the rest up to God.

After a long walk to clear my head and gather my thoughts, I go to Sunshine, meeting Mrs. Stewart at the door as she's exiting. "Good thing you're here! I was ready to travel to your father's office to search for you."