ASSISTANCE III

☹︎

☹︎

the team and i run through the snowy campus of shiritorizawa. the team has been picked and we have finally begun practicing.

Aiko made the team so we usually run and partner up together. we make a pretty powerful two on two team. we're also placed beside each other in the rotation for actual games, so we get to block together too. i quite like her. 

we enter the gym again and take off our snow covered running shoes.

"change back into your volleyball shoes, get up some serves then you're free to go home." i instruct.

everyone nods and changes their shoes and splits into two groups, one group on half of the court and one group on the other.

everyone sends serves back and forth, our libero digs a few up, so fly out of bounds, but most of them are strong steady serves.

this goes on for awhile until i excuse everyone.

thankfully everyone but my setter and i leave.

"could you set for me for a little while?" i ask her quietly.

"yeah of course!" she smiles.

she's a second year. i didn't talk to her very much last year because i didn't get to play with her very much, she never got to play because our third year setter was so talented. she peppy and cheerful, not to mention she's pretty. she's basically any guys dream girl.

i can't say i like her very much myself, she's a little too loud and cheery for my liking.

"what do you want to work on? quicks?" she asks.

"uh- yeah sure, we can work on quicks if you'd like." i stammer.

i haven't done quicks in awhile. in my first year i was a middle blocker, so i did quicks all the time. i didn't like being middle blocker. being classified by my height didn't feel good, but when i got stronger and better at hitting i was switched to a wing spiker.

"i'm just a little confused, why would you want to practice quicks?" i ask.

she shrugs. "you just look like you'd be good at them. you're pretty good at every other skill so i thought you'd be good at quicks too."

"ah i understand." i nod.

☹︎

i wave goodbye to my setter and leave the gym.

it's snowing again. i sigh. i was in a rush this morning and i forgot my jacket.

i walk through and out of campus. aiming to get home as soon as possible, as Yuki could be home alone.

i enter the household to the familiar gross noises. i cover my ears and rush into Yuki's room.

"Yuki grab your winter jacket and a blanket, we're gonna go stay at the gym okay?" i say calmly, wiping her tears. she nods and drags her fluffy blue blanket off of her bed.

i shuffle into my room and grab my winter coat and my own blanket.

i usher Yuki out of the house and into the street.

"[name]?" i hear someone's voice. i turn to see Semi Eita rushing towards me.

"Semi." i greet him.

"what are you doing out here?" he asks, sounding worried.

"some family issues." i answer bluntly.

his eyes widen and he nods quickly.

"you both can stay at my house for the night." he motions for us to follow him, we bow gratefully.