Chapter Twenty Two

Los Angeles, California

A KNOCK ON THE DOOR STARTLED INOLA. She watched French casually walking toward it and got scared. She ran up and grabbed his hand. He turned to face her and noticed the look on her face. She was nervous, her full lips shaping her face beautifully and her warm doe eyes looking at him pleadingly.

Wait, I'm scared, don't answer it. What if it's that boy from last time? Inola signed.

French looked down at her holding his hand, but she still didn't make any moves to let go. He looked back into her eyes and the resemblance she held to Uki was uncanny. French looked away and continued toward the door but Inola gripped his hand tighter. He could hear a grimace coming from her, she was scared.

"It's alright." He mouthed slowly so she would be able to read his lips.

Against her better judgement she let go of his hand and hid behind a wall. With the way that boy acted last time, she wouldn't be surprised if he came in with a gun or a group of people to attack him. When she peeked, she saw it was only a brief conversation between him and someone before they left.

The man's face looked a little familiar, he might've been French's neighbor. She was sure she saw him once or twice backing out his garage. She made eye contact with French wondering why he came, but he looked away clearly not willing to share.

It was French's neighbor Kurt who periodically checked on him. He knew of Uki's death and knew the young couple since they had first moved in. Kurt knew the girl was suffering with her health issues of anorexia, so when she past he felt bad.

French tried to get it out his head but now he was thinking about Uki. There was a damper on his mood instantly. It was like he could hear her laugh, see her beautiful face. Maybe staying in this house with so many memories of her wasn't healthy anymore. Yet he didn't think it was healthy to leave either, it would be like leaving her behind.

Inola felt silly now that she knew there was no threat. She came out and twisted her lips to the side. Are we going anywhere today?

No, we're staying indoors, keeping a low profile is essential. He said.

French could tell she wanted to ask for something, but this time he didn't extend the courtesy of asking.

Inola just nodded her head and disappeared, so French was about to go downstairs and work out but then she returned, holding her notebook and pen in front of her face. They still needed it since he wasn't an expert of signing.

Can we go visit my fiancé today? Please. I know last time I was way out of line but I really am sorry. I will never do something like that again, plus I want to see my kids. I can tell Omari's mom to bring them. I promise when you say leave we'll leave. Please French, please.

He took her notebook, writing back.

Low profile, meaning no fiancé, no kids. I know it's hard now but you'll live.

The way her face fell made his heart twist. It was like he was staring at Uki live in the flesh. She looked just like her and it had French frozen to his spot. Immediately he wanted to give in and take her. She seemed to have the power to manipulate him. Which was really bad, he couldn't let this girl do this to him. He was running the show and trying to keep them alive. He knew she was having a rough time with all these new adjustments, but he couldn't let her affect him.

Inola's head was down and she turned to walk off. French swallowed hard and knocked against the wall. Inola turned to look at him, her full lips in a pout as the pencil and notepad hung loosely from her hands.