Chapter 3

The town was lively. Merchants were selling their produce gleefully, children were playing and running around along the streets, citizens were shopping with the diversity of stores, and some townspeople are conversing with their fellow alike.

Alfred continued greeting everyone he passed by as he walked down the warren cobblestone path leading through the town.

Some folks were waving back and others outright bowed when they've spotted his presence.

He even encountered an old woman who attempted to bow in respect, but Alfred stopped her attempt because of particular reasons, like her old age, and the fact she may have back pains after that.

Well, since she couldn't bow for him, in compensation she gave him some lollipops. To which he accepted with a kind smile on his face as he rubbed the back of his neck in embarrassment, thanking the lady.

Alfred continued his rendezvous through the town with Yao, lollipop in his mouth.

Though it was suddenly disturbed by a child bumping into him.

"Ow-"

the young lad whimpered with the sudden physical contact.

He looked up at the stranger who he bumped into, and his eyes widen once he recognized the man.

"I'm sorry your highness, forgive my carelessness!!"

He quickly apologized, almost tiny teardrops were forming in his cornea.

Alfred, who was shocked by the boy's response, crouched down and patted him on the head.

"Err, don't worry about it. I'm fine, see?" He stood up and moved around, showing the boy that there was neither a sign of a single scratch nor a speck of dirt on him.

The boy sniffled a bit, causing Alfred to get nervous that he worried the kid. So he decided to give his remaining lollipop to the boy,

"Here, do you like lollipops?" He asked.

The boy hesitantly accepted it, freeing it from the plastic wrapper it was surrounded with, and placing it in his mouth.

He could see the young boy's lit up the moment the sweet candy touched his tongue.

"Thank you, your highness!!" He said, grinning with no longer a trace of the frown that was plastered on his face.

Alfred ruffled the child's hair and then waved him goodbye as he continued his stroll.

They stopped by at a bakery that caught his attention, his gaze focused on it. The building wasn't that large, but it wasn't considered small either, it was...

Mediocre.

Both of them welcomed themselves inside and everyone turned their eyes to him.

A mix of reactions were spread towards the people, some surprised, some happy, but no one frowned at him, which was a good thing.

He nervously waved at them.

"Hello, it's a good day isn't it?" He greeted awkwardly, embarrassment transparent.