Chapter 4. Legolas

Answer to one of the comments: This happened before the Hobbit. I'm gonna go through all the shish kebab. Enjoy!

        Vanya looked at herself in the mirror. It's been exactly a month since Thranduil save her from the spider attack. Legolas was worried and blamed himself for it. Also in that month Vanya has been ignoring Thranduil, simply because every time she gets a single glimpse of Thranduil her heart would flutter in a matter that should never happen. Also only just a week ago she started practicing with a sword and bow which was really hard for her since she has never held any in her life, but she felt more comfortable with a bow. Vanya then put on her boots as she grabbed her practice sword and bow that laid upon the table in her room. She walked out of her room to see Legolas standing outside of it.

"Ready?" he asked, it was the day she finally will be judged if she would go out or not. "Do I have a choice?" Vanya asked, Legolas chuckled and said "This was your idea, you wanted to train so you won't be the damsel in distress anymore." this made Vanya's ears turn red. "Come on, your father is waiting." Vanya said as she turned around and started walking. Usually during training she would be calm and sometimes excited, it's just that this time Thranduil would be watching. Legolas caught up to Vanya and threw an arm around her shoulders, "Don't worry, you'll do great." "My arms and hands still hurt, especially my feet. Don't get me started on my cuts." Vanya complained this made Legolas laughed as he said "They're nothing Vanya compared to what actually happens during a battle. Besides you have been doing nothing like this for over 2000 years, what do you expect? It is also a surprise that you know how to ride a horse." he teased Vanya making her elbow him in the ribs right as they came out to the training fields.

Thranduil sat comfortably on his mini throne in the training fields. He clapped his hands and said "I want this to begin now." Legolas then turned to Vanya and nodded assuring her that she would be alright. Vanya then glanced over at Thranduil only to see him already staring at her, she quickly averted her eyes as she focused on Legolas who was already in a battle stance. She then stood her battle stance as both of them sparred, their swords met and she would twirl like she was dancing and each blow Legolas threw she was able to block them. "Widen your feet!" Thranduil shouted, Vanya did as she was told trying her best to focus rather than the shiver that ran down her spine due to Thranduil's velvet voice. It went on a few minutes and Thranduil got impatient.

"You both are elves, one of you should have finished the other already. I expect better from you Legolas but as for you Vanya... doing well since Legolas is your trainer but let me ask you this Vanya... are you really Elrond's daughter? All your siblings seems to be a master of it but--" Thranduil's words were burning inside Vanya's mind. Vanya loved her siblings equally but what she hated most of all was being compared to them. Vanya then pushed Legolas's sword away so she could lean in towards Legolas who didn't expect her move. Her nose was already touching Legolas' nose making him freeze right where he stood, Vanya smirked then twirled as she tripped Legolas and aimed her sword at his neck. Gasps and claps could be heard from around.

Legolas smiled and said "Not bad." Vanya then put her sword away as she helped Legolas up. "You did really great Vanya, I have trained you well." Legolas said as he put his hand on her shoulder. They didn't notice as Thranduil walked close and said "Now she faces me." Legolas looked amused and people gasped because everyone knew that Thranduil was a master when came to a sword. Vanya glared at him, but most of all she knew she was gonna lose.

**

        Standing in front of Thranduil made Vanya's knees tremble. Heck, in his training outfit he looked amazing. Vanya won't deny it. "You think you can beat me?" Thranduil asked softly as he smirked, Vanya gulped. She won't be answering that question. Legolas signaled to start and Vanya charged towards Thranduil. Their swords clashed together and it took every fiber in Vanya to keep her grip on the sword that she was holding. They both pulled back as they tried throwing blows at each other. Vanya was obviously losing and when Vanya's hand started throbbing in pain and when Thranduil let out a battle cry and threw a blow Vanya's sword went flying across the field.

Vanya then stood still as Thranduil's sword was touching her neck. The people applaud for their King, and Vanya raised an eyebrow then Thranduil said "I allow her to go to the forest but... Legolas and Tauriel shall accompany her at all times." Thranduil put his sword down. Legolas, Tauriel, and a few other wood elves bowed at Thranduil as he commanded "I want spiders out of our borders." Tauriel then replied "Yes, my lord." Legolas then faced Vanya as he said "Stay close to me and you'll be fine." Vanya was excited to go back to the forest this time she knew how to defend herself.

**

        They went deep inside of the forest and Vanya was walking along one of the branches with Legolas. Tauriel was walking on the ground right below them. Vanya noticed that Legolas kept looking at her and sometimes would catch him smile to himself. "You're really heads over feet for her?" Vanya asked, thank the Valar that Tauriel couldn't hear them. Legolas' ears turned red and said "She's... I don't know." as he looked down, shy. "Tell me... have you ever thought of telling your father about this?" as Vanya raised an eyebrow. "Our marriage is a prophecy Vanya and for one of us to stray leads to death. Besides my father wants me to marry an elleth with a title." Legolas said sadly.

"Then he should have married you off with my sister... I miss her." Vanya said as she remembered her sister's soft giggles ringing through the halls or her smile every time she barged into her room unannounced. She has never been too far from her family and she just realized how much she missed them.

Legolas smiled at Vanya admiring how she could be so simple yet she is the sister of the Evenstar and the daughter of the Lord of Rivendell yet she wanted nothing more than a simple life. "Wanna see something?" Legolas asked, Vanya looked at him and just nodded. "Tauriel," he called out as he whistled. Tauriel turn around and started walking towards us. "Let's show Vanya." Legolas said as he pointed towards the sky. Vanya smiled as she nodded "That's a great idea." In just a few minutes Legolas was able to teach Vanya the right way of climbing trees with the help of Tauriel. Vanya's heart was beating with anticipation. Once all three heads emerged from the top they saw the beautiful view of the trees and the rest of the Greenwood.

Vanya could never describe what she saw. Blue butterflies flew away and the sun was shining just bright enough to make the beauty shine more. "Words cannot express the beauty... nor no paintings could picture what my eyes have seen." Vanya said as she was awed by the beauty of Greenwood. "Aye, I agree with you. The King has never shown this to anyone but Legolas." Tauriel said. "Then how did you see this?" Vanya asked even though she already knew the answer. She saw Legolas' ears turn red. "Legolas took me here the day after his father took him." she replied. "What of the Queen?" I asked. "The Queen was never the one to go on adventures... until one day." Tauriel said.

"But my father did describe it to my mother... my mother told me that once I found the one I would marry... I would show her." Legolas said, Vanya could detect the sadness in his voice. He showed her to fulfill the promise of his mother but he showed Tauriel first meaning he wanted to marry Tauriel at one point.

***

        The three of them went back to the palace when there was no sign of spiders. She then gathered her courage and went into the King's chambers. "What are you doing here?" Thranduil asked, Vanya froze as she noticed that he was wearing nothing but a burgundy robe, and he wore no crown or jewel. "I.. I.." Vanya was lost for words for she was standing awkwardly in her practice attire and standing in the middle of his chambers. She did not think this through.

"Spit it out... I don't got all day." Thranduil said as he pour himself wine into a goblet. Vanya scowled at the harshness of his voice. "I wanted to ask you... if you knew of Legolas' feelings towards Tauriel?" she asked, Thranduil froze then asked "What of it?" "If there was no writings on the stone and I wasn't about to marry your son would you allow him to marry Tauriel?" she asked bravely. Thranduil chuckled and said "Of course not! I will not allow my son to pledge himself to a lowly silvan elf." Vanya was furious at his words. "But what of Legolas' feelings?" Vanya asked. "He could have feelings for another elleth, it wouldn't be right especially since he is my son." Thranduil said.

"Then tell me... why did you dance with me even though you did not know I was an elleth with a title?"

Thranduil was quiet. He just stood there staring at her.

As he thought to himself...

How could he not dance with her?