12. - The Night Is Still Young

"Humiliation scars deeper
than the lash."

-Tobsha Learner-

━━━ ✙ ━━━

(Rose's P.O.V.)

"I heard that the crocodile creature was benign despite its monstrosity," Tatiana acknowledged, struggling to cleanse her face from the heavy makeup.

"Yeah, until you get too close to it and you lose your goddamn arm, Tati," Joshua scolded, taking her time to look past the others only to stare at Tatiana with disbelief. "Tati, darling, Gotham will wreck you up real good," she added with a grin before finally resuming her makeup.

"Don't even start with the wrecked-ass joke, Tati! I mean it!" JJ preceded, halting her activity only to throw a menacing look at Tatiana who could only stare back at her with defeat. I assumed she was about to deliver a salacious joke.

The others laughed. I forced myself to do the same, not wanting to feel excluded despite my apparent age gap inside the room. These vicenerians were far prettier than I was, yet they love to flatter me when they had the chance. I got to admit that being an aged lady has its perks. However, being an aged lady also has its downsides: you're less fun. Maybe I'm 52, but that alone was enough to make me feel old. Hell, these youths even called me 'Mama Rose' for a reason! I sometimes wondered whether it was a secret stage name they made for me or that's just how they wanted to call me.

"See, Mama Rose? Told ya Gotham was never anyone's home," Amelia cackled as she brushed her hair playfully, admiring herself in front of the vanity mirror. "It never was," I groggily agreed, flashing her a smile as I clutched the bag of ham sandwich as if it was going to get stolen. My kid must have not felt at home, in that case.

"That city is infested with the worst kind of people, y'know?" Ilyana added.

"Are you saying that Bruce Wayne is a bad guy?" Tatiana asked, wiggling her eyebrows that were on point playfully towards Joshua.

"Maybe," Joshua shrugged as he applied the mascara carefully, ignoring Tatiana's gesture.

"I don't care if he's corrupt or secretly evil or not. As long as that hottie can fuck me, then fuck me, Daddy!" Blondie chimed in with a naughty smirk as he smeared the seemingly costly lipstick. This earned a concurrent laughter from the rest, myself unincluded this time. I love their energies. I just couldn't stand their conversations sometimes.

"You ladies should behave in front of this elegant lady over here or I will kick your asses when Mama Rose leaves!"

"Oh, come on, Amelia, I'd like to feel young once in a while. Is that too much to ask?" I ensured her, giving her a weak smile, hoping that it'd pull her heartstrings a little bit despite how much I wish that the others would comply with her.

"See, Amelia? I know Mama Rose is still nasty on the inside," JJ cackled as the others followed suit but Amelia. She could only shake her head dismissively.

"Oh! By the way, Mama Rose? I assume that you're here looking for Angel?" She asked as she fixed her make-up since her show was about to start in five minutes or so. Amelia Dearheart is such a perfect stage name for Tyson. She is such a dear at heart. "Oh, yes! H-Have you seen him?"

"I can tell Honey to look for him. She has just finished her show. Besides, that guy is anywhere, to be honest."

"That would be helpful, Amelia," I thanked as my eyes darted around inside the cramped changing room filled with glittery flamboyant costumes scattering about. Nonetheless, seeing these exuberant, wild youths had always been a cure for loneliness for me, especially after I had to leave my kid, although the garish sorts of colors in the room would always blind my withering eyes.