Chapter 4: Newer, Stronger, and Ready

Running through the woods, dodging numerous branches that popped out at her and tried to scratch at her skin, Lucy trained. The first day of her new and rigorous training session, Lucy began the day by running. She already developed the skill from all the times she needed to with Natsu, usually away from something he destroyed, but she felt faster. As if every second that the wind whipped across her skin did not compare to how she ran. She vaulted over a rock, clearing a large ravine she remembered her grandfather throwing her in one time. She landed on the other side, and did not look back.

The power she felt coursing through her body, a rampant strength she remembered possessing as a child, came back to her. It freaked her out a little bit, that someone on the magical continent could actually lock away her inborn strength she acquired from her grandfather, the strong body and will. And she wondered, if her upbringing, instead of the spell, locked away her strength. As if, in some way, her own doubt stopped her strength from being used, even when she needed it.

The way she thought of herself, before the crash, had always been that she took the ranking of weakest on Team Natsu, besides Happy. Yes, she contained deep magic reserves at the time, deeper than even Erza's. But most celestial mages required that amount of magic. To access the stars, one's magic needed to travel the distance through space to that star, and call upon them there. And then sustain that spirit on the human world side. Which is why calling upon more than one spirit at once always seemed unthinkable. But Lucy did it.

But her weakness came from her inability to believe in herself. Surrounded by such destructive and personal magic, Lucy felt she lacked. She summoned spirits, but the spirits themselves could only attack. Lucy's whip acted as a way for her to bridge a gap in her own abilities with those of her teammates, to somehow become more of a physical fighter, even though at the time she hated physical fighting.

However, Lucy felt her strength now. She felt the power in her bones and developing muscles, in her magic itself which felt much more powerful. Deeper and stronger. Her reserves of magic grew, her abilities changed and stayed the same. She evolved, into someone that could take on this adventure. And not just from her power, but with the return of Monkey D. Lucy, Heartfilia Lucy lost her doubt and fear. And sensed that she would always be able to overcome anything the world threw at her. It spearheaded her new wave of thoughts, captivated her mind in an iron will.

Now, Lucy knew how strong she always could be, but found blocked by a spell and the rules of society she thought ruled her life. But nothing ruled her now, nothing blocked her. Freedom ran rampant through her veins, guided her to a sense that she only ever needed friends, the sea, and the wind. Everything else would fall into place, so long as she continued to live in such a manner.

Jumping down from a cliff edge, Lucy's boots splashed into the shallow water of a small river. The water splashed upwards, spraying her in a thin film that covered her legs. Some tiny fish scattered from the area, swimming away in different directions, before the current perpetuated movements downwards, towards the sea. Crouching down, Lucy scooped up some of the water in her hand and sniffed. Taking a drink from the clear water, she used the rest to splash over her neck. It slid down her back, touching the white, training bra and shorts she wore.

"Are you done, brat?" Draco asked, circling above her in a tiny form, and landed on some rocks next to the river. She stood, kicked the water around a bit, before heading towards him. She hopped on to the rock next to him, and pulled the laces of her short boots tighter, the ends soaked from the water.