Chapter 17: Wendy and the Sky and Sand

Lucy is frozen where she stands, unable to tear her eyes from the crystal that is but a few feet from where she stands now. Unable to comprehend anything but the little girl that is within that crystal. She had had dreams of seeing one of her nakama again, but she thought it would be after she claimed One Piece and returned to Magnolia, not here, not when she had just begun. But she could feel it, she could feel the Sky Dragon Slayer's magic from here, it was still pure and peaceful like it always was, a reflection of the little girl.

Wendy, oh sweet Wendy, the little girl who would crawl inside Horologium with her when they were cold, who would hide behind the bar with her when Fairy Tail broke out into one of its signature fights, who would heal her comrades no matter how exhausted she was. Wendy was the sweetest little girl to ever walk the earth, and just seeing her now made Lucy so happy she wanted to cry. But she wouldn't, she had vowed to stop crying and she had broken that vow a few times, but not this time.

Walking over to the crystal structure Lucy could see wounds on the little girl now that she was closer. And her clothes were torn. She looks as ragged and broken as the day of the End, like the last time Lucy saw her. The wounds were open but seemed to be stopped in time, as if they could do no damage to the little mage while she was in the crystal. There was still some blood on her, and bruises over her body, and her hair was uneven. Taking a gulp of air Lucy did her best to not cry.

She couldn't cry now, she had to save wendy, free her from this crystal of her own magic, and then hurry her to Chopper for medical treatment. She would need to quickly and carefully get her out, pull her safely through the sand and then get her to the tent. It would be a rush. Lucy created a current of air above her, drilling through the sand to created a pocket for her to talk to Zoro and Loke.

"Zoro! Loke!" Lucy called out, and felt a tug from her whip as they moved over to the hole. Once they were both looking down at her she spoke again. "I need one of you to go to the tent and tell Chopper that the Wendy is in bad shape, tell him to get ready and call on Virgo to get everything he needs."

"I'll go and talk to Virgo, Zoro's strong enough to hold this on his own, but Lucy you're gonna have to push your magic backwards to the hilt so it stays on,. I'll let go when you say too," Loke told her and Lucy nodded, concentrating on her magic and the form of the whip, and then attaching her magic to the hilt. She gave Loke the okay and he bolted. "Zoro, when I say to pull us up quickly, I'll make sure we go up smoothly, so just pull as quickly as you can, okay?"

"Got it, Lucy!" Zoro nodded his head as he prepared to do what his captain and friend told him to do. He understood the importance of speed at the moment. Taking a breath Lucy nodded her head as she got to work thinking of a plan to release the small mage from her magic prison. But how? It is was truly made of Wendy's Sky magic then Lucy could eat her way to the girl, but that would take time, and Lucy didn't know if the moment the crystal was breached that the wounds would pour out again. Biting on her lower lip as she thought Lucy laid a hand on the crystal.

But after a minute the place where her hand was began to glow, catching Lucy's attention as that glow soon enveloped the whole crystal, and then it shattered, fragments of magic disappearing into light, and Wendy tumbling down. Lucy, at first shocked, was pushed into action to catch the little girl. Catching Wendy in her arms, a little miffed at what had happened, Lucy jumped into action, forming a barrier of wind around them and making the air hotter so it would float up. "Zoro, now!" Lucy shouted and felt the harsh tug on her waist, but paid it no mind.

She breached the sand and was created by the night and Zoro, dropping the barrier, Zoro let go of the whip and Lucy stopped her flow of magic. Zoro picked it up again and ran over to them. Lucy stood up after crouching in the sand and noticed some of Wendy's wounds coming open, she looked at Zoro who nodded and they took off running, Lucy did her best to run smoothly, and not to jostle Wendy, but it was difficult. Lucy was thankful when they made it to the tent and saw Chopped and Virgo setting up everything.