Chapter 2

"We just see each other at weddings and funerals"

~17 years ago~

"Luther, where are you even going? The door is right here" Persia Jackson, or Number Zero, asked Luther Hargreeves, or Number One, while watching him walk to a ladder at the side of the building a robbery was happening.

"Who said I wanted the easiest and less dramatic entrance? C'mon Percy, you know me" And with that, he climbed and started walking through the roof.

"Let him be an idiot, Perce. Let's go" Diego, or Number Two, nudged her with his shoulder, and she walked through the side door, went to we're all the other Hargreeves were, and hid with them behind some pillars. Every member of the Umbrella Academy with a domino mask on, of course.

A man walks in, while the other men deal with the hostages.

"Now you've put me in a position where I gotta do something I don't wanna do. Hmm?" Allison, Number Three, took that as her clue, she got out of their hiding spot and started walking to the man, in the most nonchalant way possible "Shit!" Allison was already at his left side, balancing on the backs of her feet "Hey, get back with the others"

"I heard a rumor"

"What? what did you say?" By now, she was right in front of his face.

With her hand cupping her mouth, with an echoing voice, she said:

"I heard a rumor that you shot your friend in the foot"

The man's eyes became glazed, like they had fog in them, and surprisingly, or maybe not, he did exactly what Allison asked, to the amusement of the children and the terror of his friend.

When Luther jumped from the ceiling, Percy used the water in the air to make an icicle that she later used to impale someone in the foot. She cringes at the man's screams but she makes more and throws them to another man. She didn't like this, but she didn't really have a choice.

"Guns are for sissies. Real men throw knives" Diego's entrances and line were, kind of, too much in Percy's opinion.

"Really? Since when are you a man, Dieguito?" Percy asked while kicking another man in the head, knocking him out cold. She was really tempted to take Riptide out, that man was getting on her nerves, but it would be weird to see a thirteen year old with a sword. Luckily, or unluckily in Percy's case, the dude didn't even know how to fight so it was easy, nothing Percy couldn't handle with her own hands.

"Since I started training more than you in the summer, Mermaid" He of course didn't know that that was a lie. Thankfully, no one took notice of the new scars on her body since last summer. Going through the Sea of monsters to save his almost married best satyr friend wasn't easy.

By now the last guy was standing on one of the counters, backing away and looking at every kid that took his friends down "Get back you freaks"

"Hey, be careful up there, buddy"

"Do you want us to help you get down there?"

"We would never want you to get hurt"

The children continued taunting the frightened man "Get back now" he said, aiming his weapon from one kid to the other.

"Or what?" Out of thin air, another uniformed kid appears sitting cross-legged, with the same domino mask as the others. The man grunted, in fear or annoyance nobody knows, and started shooting at the place the kid was, but, to the man's increasing fear, he was already gone.

The thirteen year old appeared behind the man, his arms crossed over his chest. When the man felt his presence behind him, he turned around and started shooting, or he thought so. Instead of his gun, in his hand was an stapler

"Ooh! That's one badass stapler!" The boy said before hitting the man in the forehead with said stapler, obviously knocking him out, blood running down his face

"Do we really have to do this?" Everyone was looking at Ben, expectantly, except for Percy. She understood Ben in ways he didn't even know, but they needed to do this, they were needed to do this for the ones that couldn't.

"Come on, Ben. There's more guys in the vault" At Luther's words, Percy rolled her eyes, but she knew he was right, of course she would never say it out loud.

Ben looked at Klaus, who gave him a brief nod, then at Percy who gave him the smallest and warmest smile she could at the moment, trying to cheer him up. He just sighed, turn the handle of the door and walked in before muttering "I didn't sign up for this"

As they lead the hostages to the principal door, Percy mutters a little "Neither did I" while the six kids watch the destruction that's happening behind the door Ben went through. Percy tried to not flinch at the screams and the screeches, but it was inevitable as it brought back so many memories of her past two summers. She calmed down a little after Diego put a hand on her shoulder and Klaus took hold of her hand. They didn't know and yet, they were comforting her.

After a while, it got extremely quiet before Ben walked through the door, his body shaking badly, blood covering every inch of his body "Can we go home now?"

As everyone went to the door, Percy tried to use the water in the air to at least clean Ben a little bit and it worked, except for, well, what used to be the whites of his domino mask.

"People are coming out now." A reporter was talking to a camera the moment the Members of the Umbrella Academy came out of the bank "It's not the armed robbers. These are young schoolchildren in uniform with masks on" By now the children were standing in formation at the steps in front of the bank. Percy, being Number Zero, was first, then Luther, Diego, Alison, Klaus, Number Five and lastly, Ben. People started asking them questions but they just nodded and smiled, nothing else.

"Our world is changing. Has changed" The one and only Sir Reginald Hargreeves started his speech, moving from one side of the children to the other "There are some among us gifted with abilities far beyond the ordinary. I have adopted six such children and a seventh child lives under my roof most of the time." It took everything in Percy to not roll her eyes and maintain the fake ass smile on her face.

"I give you the inaugural class of The Umbrella Academy"

Reporters started raising their voices in hopes they got noticed by Mr. Hargreeves, who was now standing right beside Klaus.

"What happened to their parents?"

"They were, and still are, suitably compensated" Again, for Percy, it got really hard to keep the smug cover face. She wasn't sure that if she rolled her eyes, the mask would cover it and she definitely didn't want to find out that as for now.

"Are you concerned about the welfare of the children?"

"Of course" A total and complete lie. If it weren't for Grace and Percy's mom, Sally, they'd never know what being cared for and look at feels like "As I am for the fate of the world" And there it is, the cover.

•-•••-••--••••