16. Stay Still

CHAOS THEORY.
STAY STILL.

─────

February 2015

Willow and Sam had climbed silently. They had gone a little slowly, due to Willow's lack of strength. She had small bursts here and there were she tried climbing as quickly as she could before those moments of strength disappeared, but it still wasn't as swiftly or strongly as she could have climbed if she was at full strength.

They struggled a little climbing right at the top, but luckily, they had a small ledge under them to stand on and rest for a moment before continuing out the last portion.

Sam made Willow go first, wanting to make sure Willow made it out.

By the time Willow had managed to grunt and painfully throw herself up and onto the snow ─ which really wasn't helping the fact that her clothes were still damp from the water in the nest ─ Sam had managed to catch up, having struggled with the portion just as much.

Willow laid in the snow for a moment as Sam climbed to her feet. Her hand was on her stomach as she stared up into the night ─ early morning? ─ sky. The storm wasn't as bad anymore, if anything it seemed to be letting up, even with some snow showers still falling.

Sam reached down for Willow, helping her to her feet. "C'mon."

Willow nodded, leaning on Sam before finding her own footing. While climbing took out a lot of her strength, she was sure she could still walk on her own. She was mostly just exhausted and freezing. Her limbs hadn't shut down yet.

Luckily, with the lack of light given that it wasn't dawn yet, Sam's headlight was still working.

Sam led the way, choosing which way they were going to walk. They had gone left and stayed going that way as they walked down the slope. Willow was happy they were going down slope and not up slope, given that up slope took more effort and down slope had gravity sort of pulling you ─ it felt like a lot less work to walk for her.

After a minute of walking down slope, it only seemed to lead to the one thing Willow didn't want ─ a body of water.

"Fuck." Willow mumbled as Sam sighed at the sight.

They stood at the edge of the water for a moment, staring at it before looking at one another.

"At least it doesn't seem as long or as deep as the other one?" Sam said, optimistically.

Willow didn't reply, just looking back down at the surface. Sam had a point there. It wasn't as long, nor did it seem to be as deep. But there was always the possibility it was.

"So much for not getting hypothermia." Willow mumbled, dropping down. "Let's just get this over with."

Sam followed her lead in sitting, not hesitating to drop into the water first. She turned around, holding out her hand like Mike had done in the nest.