04. Warning Signs

CHAOS THEORY.
WARNING SIGNS.

─────

February 2015

Once Willow knew she was far away enough from the house, she picked a spot to drop her pack from her shoulders. It doubled as her bag for the entire weekend anyway, but her clothes were all at the bottom. What Willow needed was the shit on top. She unzipped the main compartment of the bag.

Willow pulled out the sat phone first, turning it on and letting it power on. Reaching in again, she grabbed the second thing Harley bought for her ─ the flare gun. Her cargo pants had enough room in the one pocket to store it.

Opening that pocket, Willow shoved the flare gun into it before zipping the pocket closed. She'd rather have the gun on her than in her bag in case she needed to use it fast.

As the phone blinked to show that it was on, Willow grabbed it, pointing the antenna at the sky once she noticed the two bars she needed, and called the only contact programmed into it ─ Harley. She held it up to her ear and held it in place with her shoulder as she grabbed the headlamp out of the bag next. Harley answered the call as she tugged the lamp over her head and made sure it was on over her forehead.

"Hey." Willow said, "So, I'm about to go searching for the entrance we marked on the map."

She could hear Harley sigh through the phone.

"Be careful. Remember to call and say nothing if it's an emergency, that means I need to call the police or rangers or both and send them your way. Send your location if you can."

Willow bit her lip, "I know, Harls. You told me twenty times on the drive up here. And thirty times after you brought me the phone and taught me to use it. I'll be careful."

"You stress me out. Call me in three hours, Will. Love you."

"Will do, love you too."

Willow pulled the phone out from her shoulder, ending the call. She placed the phone into the pocket on the other leg, opposite of the flare gun. If she had to ditch the bag.... at least she'd have the things on her that would keep her alive till dawn. And with the storm brewing above, she was sure that was the earlier any help would be able to come find her anyway.

She reached into the bag for the last thing. The map of Blackwood Mountain was confusing and old, but it was the closest thing Harley and Willow could find to what the mine routes would've been back in the 50s before the cave-ins. It was her best shot at being able to navigate at all down there. She kept the map folded as she tucked it into her windbreaker pocket.

Zipping the pack back up, Willow pulled it back onto her shoulders.

Having moved it out of the way, Willow could see an object that looked exactly like the one she had seen and picked up earlier on the trail up to the cable car station. Brows furrowing, she reached out for it and grabbed it to inspect it.