↳ the joys of friendship

( C O N F I D E N C E )友情の喜び

友情の喜び

( C O N F I D E N C E )友情の喜び

April 16th

Mai wandered through the school grounds by herself after class, trying to locate her way to gymnasium 2, where the girls' team practised. Tsukishima and Tadashi left for their training session, trusting that the young girl could find her way using the trusty map that she kept in her phone case.

She had already changed into her gear in the bathrooms, as she didn't have access to the club room yet and didn't want to walk in unannounced. As she slipped the new athletic shorts on, she noted how the tight fabric clung to her legs, digging into the skin of her thigh. Realistically, she knew that it was completely normal and crucial to prevent chafing, but a small voice in the back of her mind commented on how grotesque it was. Mai tried to push the voice down. She valued volleyball over everything, which meant that she needed to be healthy and able to endure training. Letting the voice run free and force her into her old habits would only cause trouble in the long run.

The usual sound of squeaking sneakers and balls bouncing off the floor that was so evident at Nekoma was absent as she stood outside gym 2. The silence was borderline unbearable. Mai slid the door open, expecting to see an excited group of girls all warming up as a team. Instead, there were two people sitting in silence.

One perked her head up when she heard Mai walk in and bounded over to the red-head, her face and movements reminding the first-year of a puppy offered a treat. "Hi! I'm Michimiya Yui, the captain. You're that new first-year, right?"

Mai nodded, introducing herself politely to her upperclassman. When she asked about the missing team members, the other player joined their conversation.

"They're late. Don't worry, it's normal," she said, extending her hand from where she was stretching on the floor. "I'm Aihara. Vice-captain."

Mai bent down slightly to shake it, offering a meek smile to the light-haired girl. She tried to swallow her disappointment. Saying she was taken aback was an understatement. At Nekoma, if you were even five minutes late, you had to do laps with the soccer team. Everybody played to their hardest at Tokyo if they wanted a chance to be scouted, knowing that you had to stand out among the many other talented players to even stand a chance. But at Karasuno, the girls didn't seem to be nearly as motivated. Mai should've gone to Shiratorizawa when she had the chance.