Chapter 4

Two days passed by and some things happened. A day ago, Jem, Scout, and Dill caused some trouble. They were playing with a tire and Scout whined to go first. The boys decided to let her go first. Let's just say that the tire rolled up to the Radley's house and the boys panicked, trying to get Scout's attention. However, Jem ran and got Scout but not before running up to the door and slam hard before running off. No one came out... Later, the kids went to spy on Atticus again. Y/N wasn't there this time around but she got a phone call from her boss that they'll need her soon about Tom Robinson's case. She got explained that he's a black man that lived with his family. He got accused of rape on a white woman. Y/N was very pissed... The kids still did some trouble. You see, it was in fact 31 of August which is meant that the summer vacation was over. Dill returned home. Jem's pants got stuck while Scout was counting, hoping that her brother safe. He did! But there was a gunshot heard. Y/N heard it too last night but she didn't dare to come out. She peeked out through the window and she's so glad that the kids were alright or else...

Right now it was September 1st which means that it's the first day of school, for Scout and Jem too. Scout was not happy at all. She was a tomboy and she's forced to wear a dress. Stupid dress codes... 20th century sure is a big hell.

Y/N entered the house while wearing baggy clothes. She decided to bring the kids to school before she'll do her things. She also wanted to support Scout since Jem seems fine.

"Good morning," Y/N greeted with a smile.

"Morning," Atticus greeted back with a smile. He's secretly surprised that she wore baggy clothes. She looked so different those two days ago at night...

Calpurnia smiled at Y/N. Jem didn't speak since he's eating.

"Would you like to join breakfast, Y/N?" Atticus asked.

"Ah no, thank you. I already ate. I'm just here to visit and I'd like to bring the kids to school. I also want to support Scout because... you know."

Everyone looked surprised at Y/N, especially Jem. That's when another woman entered.  It was Miss Madie Atkinson. She's also a neighbor from here. "Morning."

"Good morning, Miss Maudie," Calpurnia and Atticus greeted before opening the door.

"Morning, Calpurnia."

"I came to see Jean Louise ready for her first day of school," Maudie said as she sat down when Atticus pulled out a chair for her. Y/N felt jealousy inside but didn't show it.

"Scout," Calpurnia called out to her.

"Morning, Mrs. Maudie," Jem greeted.

"All ready for school?"

"Yes, ma'am."

Calpurnia just put her breakfast before calling Scout's name. Maudie then finally saw Y/N. She's very shocked. She knew that she's the author of many books but she also knew her from the newspaper. She was there in that 'previous town'. She saw how Y/N people attacked her and even trying to kill her. Atticus and Jem saw it and they were confused. Before Maudie could say a word, Calpurnia surprisingly saved the day. Scout still didn't come out... even Calpurnia said it in a stern matter.

"I'll go get her. I know how it feels like," Y/N said in a serious tone as she got up and went to get Scout. Everyone stared at her more surprised behind her back...

Y/N had a soft look when she saw Scout. The poor girl wants to rip the dress off but it was school sadly. The girl also didn't want to come out. "Hey, sweetie."

Scout perked up and she's happy to see Y/N. "Miss Y/N, I don't want to go to school!" 

Y/N showed a heartwarming smile, something that Scout wanted to see from her mother... If she was still alive. "I know how it feels, Scout. You're just like me when I was around your age."

"Really?"

Y/N giggled. "Yes. I even ripped my school dress off when I returned home one day. My parents scolded me but I didn't care. I'm only in my dress when I have to work and sometimes at night when I'm taking a walk."

"Like how I saw Atticus and you walk two days ago?" Scout smirked.

Y/N was surprised. She cleared her throat. "Yeah. I came here to bring you and Jem to school. Would it make you feel better?"

Scout smiled and nodded happily. She then hugged her, taking Y/N by surprise. But the female lawyer smiled warmly and hugged her back. What Scout said next, took Y/N by surprise. "I love you... mommy."

Y/N knew that Scout is not imagining. She really saw Y/N as her mother. Her biological mother died when Scout was only three so she didn't really felt any connection. But she felt a connection with Y/N. Deep in her heart, she knows that Y/N will be her mother figure. "I... I love you too, sweetheart." She even has happy tears rolling down her cheeks. "Come on."

Scout took Y/N's hand and they both walked. They entered the kitchen and Calpurnia, Atticus and Maudie are surprised when they saw Scout and Y/N holding hands as a mother will do with her child. Atticus even saw Y/N's puffy eyes. He wondered why she cried.

Jem laughed when he saw Scout. "Hey, everybody, look at Scout."

Maudie then hit his shoulder while Atticus smiled. Y/N showed a stern look while she felt Scout hiding behind her, causing the female lawyer to show a soft expression.

"Come on out, Scout. Have your breakfast," Atticus said. 

Scout then came out while looking at Y/N unsure and begging for help. Y/N smiled warmly and nodded at Scout. Both of them sat down. 

"I think your dress is mighty becoming, honey," Maudie said with a smile.

Scout was tugging but Calpurnia stopped her. "Now don't go tugging at the dress, Scout. You want to have it all wrinkled before you even go to school?"

Scout sure is angry now. "I still don't see why I have to wear a darn old dress."

Maudie laughed. "You'll get used to it."

Y/N smiled at Scout, giving her also a playful nudge and mouthing: "Remember my ripping dress story."

Scout couldn't help but laugh. The adults looked surprised while Jem looked confused. Y/N laughed as she stood up. "I'll wait outside to bring the kids to school."

While Y/N is waiting outside, she could hear Jem saying to Scout to hurry up. It was honestly funny. That's when the kids came running inside and back outside to not forget a couple of school stuff. That's when the kids took Y/N's hands and dragged her with them, laughing. Y/N smiled while Atticus, Maudie, and Calpurnia watched with smiles. Atticus then finally understood some things...

A day then passed by... Y/N brought Scout and Jem back home a day ago from school with another kid named Walter Cunningham. Jr. Y/N immediately knew that he's elder Walter's son. Scout got into a fight with him and Jem had to stop it. The dinner went wrong that Scout ran outside and sat on the porch. Atticus came to comfort her but he gave her a warning to not do that ever again at school. 

Y/N was at work at that time. There she got finally information about Tom Robinson and what all happened... She felt very sorry that she met up with him to hear his part of the story. She knew that Tom spoke everything with truth and not lies. She's very mad that she wanted to teach that white woman a lesson. Mayella Violet Ewell.

Today, Y/N took a day off to work and find proof that Tom Robinson is innocent. She's honestly not around or closes by because she heard that there was a sick and psycho dog around. It belonged to the Ewell family. Who were they? Well, there is a man named Bob Ewell. He's a psychopath that didn't respect so many people at all, especially Atticus and Y/N. He knew that Atticus took the case of Tom while he heard about the 'previous town' attack on Y/N. He called them "Niger Lovers". 

Let's just say that Y/N ran into Bob and he... attacked her. Y/N fought back since she will not back off like a wuss and they both fought. Bob gave Y/N a black eye and Y/N gave Bob a blood nose. They both ended it and stormed off. Y/N also heard that Atticus shot the dog dead. It's good because if the dog bit someone, then the person will have that same sickness.