Chapter 5

Y/N is right now at Robinson's house. She's speaking to Helen Robinson, Tom's wife. Her black eye was still fresh and it hurt. Bob sure can punch but Y/N can punch as well. Let's just say that she said some cussed words at Bob in anger after the fight was over. Helen is such a nice woman and she knew Y/N from the news. In fact, the whole family knows.

What she didn't know was that Atticus was on his way to the same place where Y/N was...

Y/N listened as Helen spoke. She explained what Tom said to her when he returned home. Apparently, Mayella tried to kiss Tom because of how handsome he looked, he's married! Tom said no obviously and Mayella went too far. But Bob took it further. He's an abuser that abused his own family, including his daughter, Mayella. He forced her to lie to the police that Tom raped her or else... Mayella did what her father told her to do.

Atticus then entered the house while his children were in his car. He's very surprised to see Y/N there. "Y/N? What are you doing here?"

Y/N stood up from the seat in respect. "I'm here to find proof that Tom is innocent."

Atticus then noticed Y/N's fresh black eye. He got worried, walked over to her, and took her face in warm hands, causing Y/N to lean into the touch and blush. "What happened to your eye? Who did this to you?"

"A-Atticus, I... I don't know how to tell you. I-I'm sorry." She looked away shamefully.

Atticus looks soft but also angry. Someone hurt her. He wanted to know who... The whole Robinson family was watching them. They all have smiled because even though the lawyers were not together, they found them as an excellent couple. Atticus stroked Y/N's cheek and gently also strokes her black eye with his thumb, causing Y/N to flinch but to relax. She saw him leaning in slowly to kiss her and she did the same but then a small black boy ran to them, causing Atticus and Y/N to pull away. The boy told that there was trouble outside and Jem needed help asap.

Both Atticus and Y/N went outside and saw Bob Ewell. He's drunk! Scout is peacefully asleep but Jem looked scared. Poor him... Helen followed as well and saw Bob. The drunk man glared as Atticus and Y/N came towards the car.

"You niger lover," Bob spat to Atticus.

"Enough, Bob," Y/N said in an angry tone.

Bob glared at Y/N. He of course remembered her from the fight he got with her. Atticus watched and was ready to protect her but then what he said next shocked him.

"You're lucky I only gave you a black eye, Miss Niger Lover." He then drunkenly backed off.

Atticus' kind clicked. Bob attacked her. He put his hat on and grabbed Y/N's hand in his. He mouthed to her to get in the car next to Jem. Y/N nodded and went in. She got caught by surprise when Jem hugged her. "I-I'm scared, Miss Y/N."

Y/N looked soft and hugged him back. "It's alright, Jem. I and Atticus are here."

Jem then snuggled up to her side but he couldn't help but look at the window behind Bob Ewell. "Nigger lover!"

"There's no need to be afraid, son. He's all bluff," Atticus said, trying to comfort his Son.

When they all got back at Atticus's house, they all stepped out. Atticus carried his daughter while Jem was on the wooden chair. "There's a lot of ugly things in this world, Son. I wish I could keep them all away from you. That's never possible." Atticus then walked towards the door while carrying Scout. Y/N stayed by Jem's side and placed her hand on his shoulder, giving him a motherly smile. Jem snuggled up to her.

Atticus offered Calpurnia to drive her home and went to put Scout in bed. Calpurnia watched with a soft look at Jem that was snuggled up Y/N. That's when Atticus came out again and was about to say something but stopped when he saw his son asleep while snuggled up to Y/N's side. He smiled and looked at. "Would you mind staying here with my kids till I get Cal home?"