four ✿ reality without you

The next morning, it was so hard to get out of bed. If Lisa had watched the VMAs, she probably saw me with Hayley. And the relationship I thought I'd have with Hayley was thrown out my car window.

I rolled out of bed, and put my shoes on. I grabbed my coat and the tux, and then headed out to my car. I opened the back door, and threw the tux in. I slammed the car door shut, and leaned against the car. 

"This fucking sucks," I yelled. I kicked at my back tire, and crossed my arms over my chest. I didn't bother to put my coat on since I'd thrown it into the back with the tux. I was freezing, but I was too pissed to care. I took out my phone, and dialed Lisa's number.

"Hey babe. I'll be over in twenty," I said quickly. Lisa didn't say much, and then we hung up. I went around to the driver's side, and got in. I slammed the door shut, but hadn't moved my foot out of the way.

"Fucking, fuck, fuuuuck," I screamed. I pushed the door back out, and moved my foot back in. I used my hand to bring my ankle up, and rested it on my opposite thigh. I pulled the bottom of my jeans up and looked at my bruised ankle. I sighed and brought my ankle back down.

I turned on the heat in the car, and then started to Hayley's house. Luckily, I didn't need my left foot to drive. I would've been screwed otherwise. I parked in the driveway, and threw the door open. I left the car running cause I wanted it to be warm when I got back.

I got the tux out of the back, and hobbled my way to the front door. I rang the door bell repeatedly until someone answered. It was some girl I didn't recognize.

"Where's Hayley," I asked. I pulled a face too. So what if I was being rude? The girl called Hayley to the door, and then left.

"What's up, Alex," she asked as she leaned against the door frame. I threw the tux at her, and she quickly moved to catch it. "What the heck?"

"Take the fucking tux back yourself. I'm headed to my girlfriend's for some rough, hot sex," I bragged. Hayley moved the tux around in her arms. I turned to leave after staring her in the eyes for some time. I tripped and fell. Not the most graceful exit.

"Oh my gosh, your ankle," Hayley exclaimed. She dropped the tux inside, and helped me to my feet. She helped me inside, and sat me on the couch. She left me on my own while she went to get ice. I had my ankle propped up on the coffee table, and Hayley sat on the floor. She held the ice on my ankle for me.

"I didn't know you had a girlfriend," she said quietly. She moved her hand and the bag of ice as she readjusted how she was sitting. The more I stared at her, the less angry I got. She was so perfect. I wanted to be with her.

"Yeah, um, I'm supposed to meet her. I should just go," I said and tried to move my legs. Hayley didn't move her hand or the ice from my ankle.

"You know, I only said what I did last night because I'm leaving. I don't live here, I was staying with my friend for the VMAs. I'm leaving for Franklin, Tennessee tomorrow morning," she admitted. She took the bag of ice off my ankle. She moved the ice around through the bag, and kept her eyes on it.

"Well, it was nice to meet you. That one date we had was the best one I've ever had. Thanks for the fling, and goodbye," I said as I stood up. I hobbled to the door, and left.

I drove to Lisa's apartment, and then took the elevator up to the second floor. I knocked on her door, and waited for her to answer.

"Late, as always," Lisa said as she pulled me inside. She shut the door behind me, and then kissed me. I pressed her against the wall. She slowly brought her legs up and crossed them around my waist. I carried her to the bedroom.

After spending a few hours with Lisa, I went back home. I parked in the driveway like normal, and went inside.

"Guys! Guess who got la-" I stopped as I rounded the corner and saw Hayley sitting on the couch. "What are you doing here," I asked. I could still feel the pain in my ankle, but it wasn't as bad as seeing Hayley.

"Oh yeah, Hayley's here," Jack said. He didn't move the least bit while he was playing his video game.

"Thanks Jack," I said as I rolled my eyes. Hayley stood up and came over to me. 

"I, uh- you left before I could give you this," she said. She took some cash out of her purse, and held it towards me. I looked at the cash, and then at her face. She shook her hand, and looked at it. I slowly took the money, and pocketed it.

"Can I talk to you...upstairs," I asked. I bit my lip, and felt hot. I could feel the sweat starting to form. She had already grabbed her coat, but nodded. She placed the coat back on the rack, and then followed me upstairs. I went into my room, and sat on the bed. Hayley closed the door, and awkwardly stood by it.

"You can sit down, I won't bite," I said. She walked over and sat down on the bed. I sighed deeply, and tried to calm myself down. Suddenly I wasn't feeling so confident around her anymore.

"We don't know much about each other. I, um, believe it or not, I have anxiety. And I tried to be in a band, but we had to break up. I haven't really connected with my girlfriend in over a year-" I tried to keep going, but she cut me off.

"Alex, I appreciate this, I really do," she started. She put her hand on my shoulder, and we faced each other.

"But," I said. I moved my hands, telling her to continue.

"But I'm going back home, seven-hundred miles away. And I'm in a band, that travels and is busy," she said. I knew her reasons, and I understood them. I just wanted her to stay.

"I know, I know. I just want you to stay a little longer," I said, reaching for her hand. She let me take her hand, and I held it with both of my hands. I smiled softly and looked her in the eye.

"I want to too," she started. She shook her head and pulled her hand back from mine. "I have to go," she whispered. I watched her get up, and then she gently opened the door. She looked back at me, and my broken heart. She continued out, and closed the door behind her.