Chapter 28: My silly heart

Scarlet POV

The cafe became part of my routine once again. I have the strong irresistible impulse to refuse the cafe from Miguel but my mind instantly changed when I got a message from his secretary, Patricia, that he will definitely put the cafe to sell on the market if I rejected the offer. Having the thought that the cafe wouldn't be in my sight anymore made me put aside the pride and emotion.

I was surprised that the cafe was in better condition during my absence for a few months; no doubt that he is a successful businessman. He hired a group of people to run the cafe and he didn't change anything about the place. The signature dessert, the entire menu, and the vintage style of the cafe remained the same. And most importantly, my previous staff, Michael was there.

I rested on Cassandra's favorite table on the top floor after the peak hour. It was mostly occupied during breakfast time and I always find myself on the same spot having my own time while resting. I loved how the wind comforts me in its own way and added by the serene of the city that never failed to steal my attention.

A cup of coffee caramel accompanied me as usual. I took out my phone from my pocket and log into my Instagram. My movement immediately stopped as something caught my attention from Cassandra's post. A picture of her with the guys in the bar but the two unfamiliar ladies caught my attention more. The blonde girl sat beside Manuel while the other lady in dark hair sat closer to Miguel. I sensed a pit of juicy feeling which I recognized as jealousy taunted me.

"Of course he will have someone else with him since he is single and good looking," I mumbled to myself.

My mind wandered to the last talk that we had at the beach in the last few days. It hurts that I can't erase it out from my little head. If only his mom is not in our path, I will scream through my lung to tell him that I'm freaking single and I desperately want him to be my lover. But, I knew that impossible thing won't turn into possible even in my dream.

After that night, Raymond seems to figure out that I left Miguel due to some obstacle but I didn't bother to explain the whole thing to him. Cassandra as my best friend will know about it first if I really intend to spill out the truth. Some things are better left unsaid, I reminded myself.

The vibration of my phone snapped me back to reality. A smile covered my face as I noticed the name on the screen.

"What a surprise that you called me early in the morning," I hide away all the thought and weird feeling that kept disturbing me.

"Wow, I'm more surprise that you were awake at this hour," she answered, I guess with a grin on her face.

"Uh, what can I said, a little bit get used to waking up early," I paused as I almost mentioned the name that I wanted to avoid.

"How have you been?"

"I doubt my life can get better than this. I'm finally backed to my old life with my favorite cafe."

"I missed the place. I will visit the place in a short time."

"Before that, make sure your boyfriend agreed to let you to," I didn't let go of the chance to tease her. I could imagine she rolled her eyes at my words as I chuckled on the line.

"He will let me or I will secretly run from him."

"Don't pull me in, babe. I'm not ready to ruin my new life." We laughed afterward.

"How was your night? I saw the picture that you post. Having a good night, huh?"

"Just hang out with the boys."

"And who were the two ladies?" I hope she didn't catch the jealousy that filled me.

"Manuel is trying to set up a date for Miguel," she informed me with a laugh but her remark has a contradictory effect on me, my silly heart.

"It's good then. At least, I won't feel guilty anymore." I talked in a low tone but she heard me.

"Babe, I know you have some feeling for him." Her statement made me caught off guard. I pretended to let out laughter to cover the emotion that started to surface but pathetically it wasn't sound convincing even to my own ears.

"Nothing like that, babe," I knew it will hard to convince her with the fact that she knew me enough to read through me, "I just feel bad that there is no proper goodbye between us," I fibbed.

"Scarlet," the moment she called my name I knew how serious this topic will go. "You know where to find me when you need someone. I hope you will share with me everything that you bottled inside. Don't torture yourself, you deserve to be happy, treat yourself better than this." I don't have the power to control the tears that decided to wet my cheeks despite a few customers were occupied the place. I quickly wiped off the tears.

"I know babe, everything will get better. I promise." I don't want to give her the empty promise but that was all I can say at the moment and just wanted to end the conversation as soon as possible without her noticing that my voice almost crack-up due to the sob that threatened to escape from me.

"You better be."

"I got to go. Almost lunch time and I need to prepare for the peak time that will kick in soon." I found a good excuse to end the call but it wasn't all lie since the lunch hour will come soon and I expected the cafe will be full in a few hours.

"Alright, call you next time. Take care, babe!"

"You too, babe!"

A sigh ran out from my lips once the screen turned dark motioning that she had ended the call. I rested my back on the chair.

'Long way to go, Scarlet!' It sounds too weak even to me and I doubt its success to motivate me.

****************************