Chapter Fifteen

When Zuko and Sokka reached Noren's house, the sun had set, leaving the world around them dark. A yellow light shine from within the small house, Zuko moved to look through it.

    "It's so quiet..." Sokka commented softly.

    "Too quiet." Zuko added.

    "What's going on in there? Are they safe?" Sokka demanded when Zuko's expression filled with confusion.

    "They're fine... They're eating dinner." Zuko responded.

    "Whew! I thought your sister had done something!" Sokka sighed.

    "Looks like we got here first, good thing the shortcut worked..."

    "So that's your mom, huh?" Sokka nodded towards Noriko.

    "That's her," Zuko started walking around to the front. "I'm going to go inside, keep your eye out for Azula?"

    "Anything you need." Sokka grinned.

    "Thank you," Zuko put a hand on the other boy's shoulder. "Be careful."

    "You should tell that to Azula." Sokka boasted, giving him a cocky grin.

    Zuko rolled his eyes playfully, laughing a bit before turning around to walk again.

    "Zuko," Sokka called softly, grabbing his shoulder and turning him around. "You too."

    He gave him a small peck on the cheek, Zuko smiled and then disappeared around the corner.

    He knocked on the front door, glancing around for any movement in his surroundings. The door opened, startling him a bit. He met eyes with Noren.

    "Noren," He breathed. "I know it's late, but I-"

    "I had a feeling you'd come back." Noren interrupted softly.

    "What do you mean?" Zuko looked up.

    "Yiii~!" Noren sang, looking back.

    Kiyi ran out of the other room, her expression lighting at the sight of Zuko.

    "You came back! You came back because we're best friends!" Kiyi sang, hugging Zuko's waist.

    "Good to see you Kiyi." Zuko chuckled.

    "Come eat dinner with us!" Kiyi exclaimed, pulling Zuko along to follow her.

    "I don't know if-" Zuko looked back to Noren.

    "No, please join us." He nodded, closing the front door.

    They moved into the room Zuko had previously looked in at. He glanced at the window. The smallest flick of brown hair peeked up from the sill. He smiled softly.

    Sitting down at the table, Noriko greeted him. He sat across from her, in front of a freshly poured bowl of stew. Kiyi plopped down to his left and began eating her dinner enthusiastically. Zuko smiled at her, it reminded him of Sokka.

    Noren sat down and sparked up a small conversation between him and Noriko about play rehearsal. Zuko stared at her. There really wasn't a sign of his mother in her appearance. But she did have the same air about her. Or as Ty Lee would put it, their auras were the same.

    "You haven't touched your food yet," Noriko spoke up, looking at Zuko. "Is something wrong?"

    "Do you do this every night?" Zuko asked softly.