15. the crystal cave

Leandra is struggling out in the fields; she is so big now she is finding it harder to move.

"It can't be long until this baby comes." Mitace says, coming up from behind, gliding his arms around her, cupping her belly in his hands.

"Any day now the doctor said." Leandra replies, nestling into his embrace.

"It is so wonderful here. Our baby will have everything he or she could ever want. I also think it is enough for you." Mitace says, kissing her gently.

"I only have a little more to do or this section will spoil." she tells him, pushing out of his embrace and continuing her harvest of the vegetables.

Mitace sighs but does not give up. He lifts her up and places her down away from the patch she was working on. "If you insist this must be done then I will do it." He gets down on his knees and continues the work Leandra was just doing.

"This does not seem fair. You have been working out at the docks and woods all day. We are supposed to share the work Mitace." Leandra grumbles.

"Exactly, share! I don't see much sharing when our baby is weighing you down and making your work ten times harder. If I can lighten your load even a little, please let me." he says to her, his eyes and tone pleading.

One look in his eyes shuts her down for any argument she could have had prepared. A loud crack startle's them both. Mitace jumps to his feet, looking round desperately.

"Mitace was that you?"

"No, it wasn't." he replies, worry etching his features.

Screams and cries sound off in the distance. Quickly, Mitace bundles Leandra up, rushing to get her to safety.

"Mitace what is going on?"

"I don't know but I am not willing to risk you getting hurt."

A group of six people race up the path to Mitace and Leandra. Mitace is on guard but knows these people.

"Mitace!" they call to him.

"You have to help us. A bunch of people in white robes are coming this way and they are blowing up buildings and setting fire to things."

"How do you expect us to help?"

"The rumors are you can both do things no one else can." one admits.

"I am sorry, but we came here for us to get away from those who treated us differently. You are on your own." Mitace says, pulling Leandra closer to his chest.

Quickly, he races back to their home, gathers a few things, and returns to Leandra who is waiting outside and keeping watch.

"We knew this day would come eventually." Leandra says with a sigh.

"They cannot have you, Leandra. I will give myself up, long before I allow them to touch you or our baby."

He gathers Leandra and moves them through the trees, weaving and changing direction. The sun is going down which means they have been traveling for at least five hours. Mitace is clearly exhausted but his desire to protect Leandra and his baby spurs him on. A rustle from the side startles them.

"Psst, over here!"

Mitace searches desperately for the voice. Slowly, he moves forward, unintentionally cracking some twigs.

"Shhhh, be quiet." the voice calls in a growling whisper.

Mitace moves Leandra against a mound when Leandra grips onto Mitace's arms as a wave of pain hits her.