17. The Birth of Magic

Tom is immediately at my side. I open my eyes and see Tom flickering. "What is going on?" I ask as the room continues to sway.

"You passed out!" Tom yells in a panic. "Are you alright? Tell me!" he demands.

I shake my head, bringing my focus back. Tom is still flickering like a bad tv show.

"Why are you flickering?" I ask him.

"I am made of pure magic, Bree, and yours just took a major hit! What happened?"

"Aiden." I whisper.

"Aiden? How can that be? For what possible reason?" Tom is getting angry, something I rarely have ever seen except the one time in my office with my old boss. That scared me, and I had hoped I would never see him like that again. Obviously, my safety is his trigger.

"Please calm down. Aiden didn't do it on purpose, he called for my help." I say, remembering the feeling I got when we connected. I saw everything he saw and I felt everything he felt. I was right there beside him. "He was in big trouble. He saved a falling island full of people from falling to their deaths. He called for me to help him control my powers, to help him save them." I say in a proud daze.

The fire around us roars brighter and hotter. "Time is running out young maiden. Push forward through the fire and learn what you must before it is too late." the maidens voice vibrates through the room.

I get up from the floor, more determined than before. I know what is going on out there right now and whatever is going on here is the key to fixing this and saving everyone. This time, with the massive drain I just had, the fire is much harder to push back, but my determination pushes me on.

Through the fire I see Leandra and Mitace looking down at their baby. "Jacob, why are her eyes Lavender? Is that normal for newborn babies?" Mitace asks.

"No, it most certainly is not." he smiles.

"Then why are her eyes that color?" Mitace asks him in a worried tone.

"She is the first of her kind very rare indeed, and I do believe those eyes will be shielded from most for what they really are, to protect her."

"What do you mean by that?" Leandra asks him.

"People without magic will see her eyes as a normal color, most likely a hazel, she is special indeed, your baby is the first baby born of power and balance with both light and dark, we can expect great things in her future." He smiles.

"I want to go back home Mitace" Leandra says not taking her eyes off her baby.

"Are you sure about this Leandra?"

"Yes, very sure. I have never felt so strong as I do now, and I am not spending my life on the run. We built a happy home and our daughter is going to know it well. Those people need us. We are powerful on our own but together we are as strong as any wise ones that could dare challenge us. I am ready to go home and protect our new family." she says peering down at her precious baby.

Knowing Leandra has a good point, and no matter if they stay or run, at some point, they will have to face them. Cautiously Mitace leads them out the cave and back home.

When their home can be seen between the trees Mitace sees their home still as they left it. Leandra and Mitace walk out into the open and down the pathway to see the damage done to the surrounding village that built up around them. Only a few homes were left from the violent onslaught of raining fireballs that torched most of the houses. It has not taken long for the people to have already started rebuilding their homes.