Alone

"What you mean you're pregnant?! You just told me in the car you've had your period already! How could you be pregnant too?" "I lied Kris! But I ain't think I was! I swear! I asked you because I thought that maybe you know I was off some days. Then when you said you thought you were... I thought that was a good time for me to find out... and I did. And I am too." Chey breaks down. "Dammit Chey!" I say with sadness, holding her head on my shoulder. "I know Kris! I know. This is going to kill momma!" "Whose is it?" "Kris..." "Is it Tristan's?" "Kris..." "Is it Chey! Yes or No?" she pauses for a minute. "... Yes" "God Chey! You know he ain't gone own up to it! I told you to leave him alone! You told me you did!" "I tried! I-- I don't know I didn't." "Have you even told him that you was late?" "No... and I'm not going too. I'm not telling nobody." "Pregnancy isn't a secret Chey! It's bound to be noticed." "I know that! But until it is. I'm not saying a word! And you not either." "I'm not about to lie to you and say that I'm not. If I feel like someone should know I'm going to tell them--" "Tell them what?" Marcus interrupts as he walks in. "Nothing," Chey says quickly. "Let's go." "What's wrong with her?" "Nothing Marcus. Come on. Let's go see your dad." "Okay then..." On the ride there all I could do is think about Mom. And how was she going to react knowing both of her daughters are pregnant their senior year of high school. And then I began thinking about Chey. I felt really sorry for her. I have Marcus and I know he's going to be here with me through this. And she has nobody. She was alone.