chapter 2

Crystal's POV

I was sitting down at my desk, staring at my blank notebook, with a confused look on my face. I had no idea what Mr. Dankworth was talking about. Heck, I had no idea what he had been talking about for the past 8 months! I needed a History tutor, and I needed it as soon as possible.

My name is Crystal, by the way. I'm 16, and I study at Granada Hills High School. I am your average kooky, odd kid, who's not very social. Widow and Jaida, my best friends, always say I'm kind-hearted, though. I like to believe that's true. I like to believe that I have a golden heart. So the reason I don't have many friends can't be because I'm an asshole; but rather because no one really wants to befriend me. They think I'm weird or eerie, and I am., but no one really wants or cares to look beyond that.

Other than that, I live quite an average life: I have nice friends, my parents look after me, I reside in a pretty big house, I eat nourishing meals, and I wear fetching clothes. I'm aware not everyone has what I do, and I am vastly grateful for everything I have; but I still consider it pretty average.

The only thing I wouldn't consider average in my boring life is my school: I'm a nobody here, but it's exceptionally amusing for me to analyze all the kinds of people here: jocks, nerds, mean girls, emos, cool kids... You name it, and you'll find them here.

But there is this one popular girl in my History class, Gigi Goode, who's as pretty as a picture. She's a dainty angel, I could spend hours and hours just staring at those mesmerizing eyes. Of course, she has no idea. In fact, much like the rest of my grade, I bet she doesn't even know about my existence. And she probably never will, but dreaming costs nothing, I guess.

Suddenly, the hallway bell removed me from my precious thoughts. I was about to stand up and go talk to Jaida and Widow; but Mr. Dankworth stopped me right away. I unwillingly sat down again.

"Class, I have an announcement to make. As you may already know, your school used to do an annual trip called the White Week, but got canceled more than 20 years ago. However, many teachers including myself, have joined to try and convince your principal to bring White Week... And, fortunately, we've succeeded." Mr. Dankworth announced. My eyes were fixed on Gigi's silhouette across the room, so I couldn't help but see her cheer. She looked adorable, I must admit: my heart melted when I noticed her face slowly go from a frown to a enlighted smile, causing mine to do the same thing.

''During your stay at Alaska, you'll be sharing cottages with another classmate. However, I have some bad news as well: I will, personally, be in charge of pairing you up.'' My face mimicked Gigi's when she frowned again, as soon as she heard this words.

''One by one, I'll call your names, and you'll approach my desk, as I give you a folded paper with your roommate's name. Then, you'll go back to your seat, and open the paper. Now, the goal is for you to get to know each other better, so don't expect me to pair you up with your best friend.''

I looked down at my lap, as my heart raced. What if Mr. Dankworth paired me up with Gigi? This was such an utopia, but as I've said before, dreaming costs nothing, and I wasn't really harming anyone with my longing (except for myself, maybe). Plus, I liked this feeling: whenever I thought about Gigi, I felt as if I was the only girl in the world she's ever loved. I imagined just the two of us, probably hanging out at a green field of wildflowers, and a crystal clear stream. I liked that.

''Crystal Methyd?'' Once again, Mr. Dankworth had interrupted me while I was stuck in my own thoughts. I tried not to expect much: after all, considering my bad luck, the possibilities I actually ended up with Gigi as my roommate, were almost null. I just hoped I got paired up with a kind person, who wouldn't mock me (that much).

I stood up and walked towards Mr. Dankworth's desk. My hand shook as I reached out to receive the paper he had on his hands. I quickly returned to my seat, and anxiously unfolded it to reveal my roommate's name. Until suddenly, the unexpected happened. As I read the name written on the sheet, I felt like Charlie when he found out he got the last Golden Ticket: I couldn't believe my eyes!

''Gigi Goode?! Holy shit! My roommate's Gigi Goode!'' I internally yelled. Abruptly, Ifelt as if someone had their eyes fixed on me, so I gently lifted my head fromthe paper, only to find Gigi Goode herself disgustingly staring at me, as shefrantically pressed her paper with her thumbs