LXXIX

2004

"O-oh, nothing. I was just looking at the cakes," I said as I swiftly looked at the person standing infront of me.

He wore a black sweater and jeans and had a white apron wrapped around him, and he looked at me before a smile tugged up on his face.

"I heard it's your birthday," he smiled as he looked at me, and I nodded slowly at him before looking down at the ground.

"Is that your little sister?" He asked as he looked at me.

"Cousin."

"Well, do you want to come in? You sure seem like you like cakes alot," he smiled as he opened the door a bit more.

"I do, and I want one. But... I don't have money... so I'll be going now," I said as I pulled the little girl closer to me.

"Wait a minute there little boy, I'll go get something for you. Be patient," he said as he turned his heel and made his way inside, and he disappeared to an aisle and all I could do was stare at him.

A few minutes later, the young man came out with a small white box, and he looked at me before a soft smile formed on his face. And he kneeled down before giving me the cake.

"This is yours, happy birthday," he smiled before nodding it towards me.

"Thank you sir, b-but I can't! This is too much! I don't have money," I replied as I gave him a worried smile.

"Take it, the boss isn't here so you better take it before he comes back," he lightly said as he gave it to me.

"Thank you," I said shyly before carrying the box on my other hand.

Suddenly, a tear rolled down my cheek, followed by another one as I sobbed softly, looking at the man infront of me who looked at me confusingly.

"Th-thank you for your kindness...," I said through tears as I looked at him with puffy eyes. Tears rolling down my cheeks.

"What's wrong? Are you okay?" He asked as he patted my shoulder, looking at me.

"S-sometimes, when I don't know what to do with my life, when I'm scared of what will happen to me, I just cry...," I said as I looked at him through tears.

"There was a man who told me that the Almighty was always with me, but it seems like... everything's been hard for me. It seems like I don't have ther energy to continue on anymore...," I trailed off as my heart began to get more heavier.

"Listen kid, sometimes, things like these will pass. As long as you're alive, you have a purpose, and that is the purpose to live. As long as you're alive, there will always be hope. Times like these when people have a hard time will pass. Because these obstacles is the reason why you've went this far. And someday, when you're all grown up, you'll look back and be thankful," the young man said as he patted me.

"I feel... useless. I don't know how long I could stand this. I feel like no one will be there for me, to be with me in times like this," I mumbled through sobs.

"She's there for you, she'll be the person who will be with you, to cheer for you and guide you. She's the only family you have afterall," the man smiled as he gestured to the little girl that was hiding behind me.