Chapter 21: She's Having A Baby

Chapter 21

“Katie?” I mumbled, holding my bright phone to my ear as I sat up in bed at 3 in the morning. 

“J-Jason I need your help.” She said quickly. 

“Katie? What the hell it’s like 3 in the morning.” I grumbled, trying to keep the noise down. 

Brian would kill me. 

“Yes I know that but-” 

“Katie I’m in Michigan.” I added, realizing that I wasn’t even in Texas. 

“Yes I know that but right now I just really need to talk to you alright?” Katie said quickly through her teeth. 

“What’s the matter?” I frowned. 

“Do you remember when you had that panic attack before the state game?” Katie asked. 

I felt my cheeks flare up in embarrassment. 

“Yes...” I mumbled. 

“How’d you talk yourself out of it. I know I was there but I was just talking nonsense and you really brought yourself down from it and I really need to know that secret because I’m kind of freaking out over here.” Katie said, sounding close to tears. 

“Whoa what’s wrong?” I frowned, pushing my hair back from my face. 

“I’m having the baby.” She said simply. 

I gasped. 

“Wait what? Where are you? Where’s Kent?” I said quickly. 

“I’m in the hospital dammit and he went to get food but I can’t breathe and I’m really starting to freak out because I’m about to push a baby out of my-” 

“Okay okay yea I get the picture.” I laughed. “Well congratulations.” 

“Not helping. Not helping at all.” Katie whispered. 

“Okay just count your breaths right? My lucky number is 8, so I always count eight breaths at a time.” I told her. 

I heard Katie try to steady her breathing. 

She just whimpered. 

“No no I can’t.” Katie whimpered. 

“Take a deep breath, Katie.” I said. “With me.” I added before taking a deep breath. 

“Here I’ll count with you. One... Two... Three...” I started, knowing that Brian would absolutely murder me if he woke up. 

“What else.” Katie said quickly, the breathing obviously not helping. 

“Uh... Uh think of a happy place got it?” I said softly. “Think of a place that doesn’t have any bad memories. Like a place that you’d always want to be no matter what.” 

“What’s it for you?” Katie asked, her voice shaking. 

“An empty football field.” I lied, my mind instantly going to Carly. A smile crossed my face at the thought of my beautiful girlfriend. 

“Okay okay.” Katie mumbled. 

“Why’d you call me instead of talking to Kent?” I asked curiously. 

“Because he wouldn’t get this okay? Just don’t ask questions and don’t mention this again.” Katie took a deep breath. 

“Are you okay now?” I asked softly. 

“Yea, yea I’m good.” Katie sighed. “I’m sorry I woke you up... You’re probably super tired and I just-” 

“Hey, no don’t apologize. A woman in labor always has priority.” I laughed.